Creating an external reference with a variable cell

ruslruslrusl

Hi all,

First off, I haven't been using Excel regularly since college so I'm pretty rusty on formulas.

I'm wondering if there's any way to put a variable for a cell address in an external reference formula. Basically, I'm creating an abridged report of customer data that takes a single customer's info from 2 other workbooks on a networked drive and compiles the chosen cell data into one worksheet summary of their info. The base external reference formula looks like this:

='F:\Projects\[CustomerDB.xls]Sheet1'!VariableCellGoesHere

I want to know if there's a way I can make the formula use a variable cell address that I can just type into another cell to tell it which row I need to grab info from. Generally, all of the customer data I need is spanned across multiple columns in one single row. The formula above appears multiple times in the sheet I'm trying to make. The first is for "Name", the next is for "Address", next is "Phone Number", etc. So for instance, if I want customer data from the main spreadsheet and that customer's info is on row 384, my first few formulas are:

A1='F:\Projects\[ProjectDB.xls]Sheet1'!A384
B1='F:\Projects\[ProjectDB.xls]Sheet1'!B384
C1='F:\Projects\[ProjectDB.xls]Sheet1'!C384

Is there a way I can maybe have a designated cell on this sheet where I just enter the row number I need (e.g. 481) so the formula references that number and plugs it into the cell reference above resulting in the formulas adjusting themselves to ='F:\Projects\[ProjectDB.xls]Sheet1'!A481? Or is there another way to do this? I've tried messing with the INDIRECT function but I can't get it working.

Any help/suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back