Creating Backend DB - access 2003

lionelnz

Hi all.

I have created a backend DB from my main DB but it did not transfer any of the tables, forms queries etc just an empty DB.

How do I get the all the tables, forms & queries into the BE database AND THEN link the front end to the BE?

Cheers

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Check out "Split an existing Access database between its data and its objects" in Access' built-in help for information on splitting databases into a front-end and back-end.

Upvote 0
I did this & it created the be mdb as *be.mdb but the message came up with "There are no tables in this backend database."

Do I move the tables from the original database to new BE DB? If yes how does the Front end DB know where to look for the tables in the BE?

I have searched the Help file which is not very helpful in this case & I have googled but there is not much on the specifics of how to do this.

Upvote 0
Use the database splitter. It's in Tools > Database Utilities. It will prompt you for a database name and location, copy the tables to the backend, and create the links.

Denis

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply.

The DB had ALREADY been split to a front end & backend & I was trying split the frontend & wondering why it was not working!

Live & learn I suppose!!!

Few more questions about using FE & BE's.

At the moment I think the user's have a shortcut to the frontend (which is on a shared folder on the network) on their desktops.

Should they have is their own copy of the FE on their desktop?

I suspect YES!!!! & it is this that allows multiple users to access the DB.

How many users are allowed to access at one time? Are there any special settings, permissions that I need to set?

Any good Access 2003 texts to recommend for an old 97 access user that hasn't really developed DB's since 1998/9?

Thanks

BTW - Office 2003 SP2

Upvote 0
Each person with their own copy is the preferred option. It cuts down on network traffic.

Generally, there isn't a set limit on users but the practical limit (depending on how the DB is built) is in the range 5-20, unless you pull some pretty special tricks.

A good book is one on Access Applications (can't remember the exact name) by John L. Viescas, published by Microsoft Press. Among other things it has a useful section on best practice for multi-user database design.

Denis

Upvote 0
A good book is one on Access Applications (can't remember the exact name) by John L. Viescas, published by Microsoft Press. Among other things it has a useful section on best practice for multi-user database design.

Denis

Didn't he also write Excel books?

I am also a big fan of John Lennon.

Expat Ozzie in kiwiland (suffering under the weight of AllBlacks!!!!)
Altho State of O is on tonight!

Upvote 0
No Excel books that I know of, but he definitely knows Access.

John Lennon gets a bit of airplay around here ;)

And go NSW tonight!

I bet the Kiwis aren't too happy that their best coach is now in charge of the Wallabies either...

Denis

Upvote 0
And go NSW tonight!

I bet the Kiwis aren't too happy that their best coach is now in charge of the Wallabies either...

Denis

Well the roaches sort of didn't go but went out the backdoor! But as a banana bender I am not too upset about that! ;)

As for Robbie, well I have a problem with that over here 'coz no matter who wins Tri-nations or bledisloe the Kiwis willalways claim it was the bluddy Kiwis!!!! :((((

Upvote 0
Well the roaches sort of didn't go but went out the backdoor! But as a banana bender I am not too upset about that! ;)

As for Robbie, well I have a problem with that over here 'coz no matter who wins Tri-nations or bledisloe the Kiwis willalways claim it was the bluddy Kiwis!!!! :((((

Ah well, NSW got hammered! In the end, QLD picked the right team and played much better but they got some help with a couple of decisions. Wouldn't have changed the result, just the margin.

It'll be interesting to see how Aus go this weekend against Ireland, and then against France in a couple of weeks.

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB_Unlv

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back