Creating consolidated dashboard from various excel data files

dancing-shadow

I'm trying to find the best way to create (and constantly re-create) a dashboard on a monthly basis, for 20 clients each month. Currently I have one excel 'template' with vba code which filters the raw data (over 5x sheets) into pivots and tables to produce the client-specific data for a specific month. This is re-used for each client every month. As such, it's prone to corruption errors and memory leaks, and I need to find a better solution. Unfortunately I am limited to using Excel and VBA, due to my companies policy and my own skill limitations, and the deadline I've been set will allow me to do this once, so I need to get the best solution first time round!

So my question is, what would be the best way to create an automated 'template' that will easily re-create multiple reports with as little risk to corruption and memory leaks? Pivots and links to pivots? formula? copying the raw data for each month/client out each time?
The raw data in it's original format consists of 5x files, all containing every client, and all data from 2017 to present. Each report needs to contain 1x client, and 1x month of data. The data relates to the jobs attended for a client - one file might be the raw jobs info, the second file is the invoicing data relating to those jobs, another regarding the person attending the jobs.

The best idea I've come up with so far is to have one file containing the VBA code and nothing else, and one file as a blank template, set up for the report. The vba code would go into each raw data file, create a pivot to filter as necessary, and copy the pivot data out into the report template file - saving it off as a specified name and closing it. This should prevent any excel file being saved with excessive data manipulation, and hopefully prevent the corruption. Maybe there's a better way though?

I appreciate it's hard to know what I'm trying to achieve without any sort of raw data or example file, but I'll explain as best I can if anything needs clarifying.

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back