Creating dynamic list in shapes

Anup04

Is there any way to create a dynamic list in shapes?
For eg. I have a table with follow up dates against the companies. I want to insert a to do list in the dashboard where the user can select a date and he can view the list of companies that needs to be followed up with on the given date. I am basically looking to insert the to do list in shapes but cannot find any way to display multiple entries in the same. It only displays the first entry.

Any way this can be done? Any other ideas to display the information on the dashboard is most welcome as I am trying and exploring different options for my dashboard.

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Are you trying to do this by formula? Is the value in the shape assigned with formula like =C2

If so..., assign the shape value with =C2 and ...

Place formula below in cell C2 - the 3 cells are listed on separate line in the shape
=B2&CHAR(10)&B3&CHAR(10)&B4

If you have Excel365 then use TEXTJOIN
With formula below in C2 - each item in the range appears on a separate line
=TEXTJOIN(CHAR(10),TRUE,B2:B14)

Create a (single column) dynamic named range and the same applies with this formula in C2
=TEXTJOIN(CHAR(10),TRUE,myDynamicList)

The method is the same - concatnate the string in cell C2 using CHAR(10) as line break and assign value in C2 to the shape

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, i am trying to do this by formula. The method suggested by you is what i am doing already. However, the catch over here is that i do not have the data in cell B2, B3 and B4. The data is dynamic and the number of entries can vary. I will explain my requirement in detail below,

I have a DSR sheet with Company names in Column A and follow up dates in Column B. In the other sheet Dashboard, i have inserted a shape and drop down list to display the dates. Whenever the user selects any particular date then the shape should populate the list of Companies to be followed up on that date in the shape that is provided in the sheet.

Alternatively I can do this by inserting a Pivot table showing the Company names and providing a slicer to the user to select dates, that way the pivot table will show the list. However, i wanted to use shapes for this. Please suggest if this can be done.

Let me know if i am clear with my question.

Thank you in advance.

P.S: I am using Excel 2013.

Upvote 0
The TEXTJOIN solution suggested above would achieve exactly what you want. But unfortunately TEXTJOIN is not available in your current version :cry:
We need to figure out an alternative way to create the single string required (ie your dynamic list delimited by CHAR(10) )
Are you wanting to avoid VBA ?

Upvote 0
Yes I want to avoid VBA. Also any other method of displaying this to do list in dashboard can be looked into.

Upvote 0
Noted. Many thanks for your help. Will check I i can upgrade so that would be able to use the textjoin function.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back