Creating External Reference from 'Data Reference' Worksheet

cristopulo

Hello,

I am trying to create an external reference linked to a DataSheet in another workbook.

Basically I have all my information and data in 2 worksheets based on a 'Data Reference' worksheet in the same workbook. This contains simply everything from named ranges used for Data Validation to INDEX / MATCH table sources. The actual Output worksheets use Macros as well as Data Validation and Index/ Match but are all linked to tables in this worksheet.

I wanted to be able to copy all this data into another workbook and keep this as the reference in the company database so that anyone can update it. This would hereby change the information in the original worksheet that is intended to be sent out to clients.

I thought of copying everything in the Data reference worksheet and then using the paste special and pasting it as a link in another workbook. This would then change the original Data reference and I would be able to hide the page and lock the workbook to keep clients from viewing or accidentally tampering with it.

This did not work and I have not been able to manage how to use a new source workbook to solve the issue.

Would I have to copy everything in the 'Data Reference' worksheet into another workbook and delete the original reference. Then Open a source workbook where all my original Data is linked. The point is just to be able to update the worksheets data after it has already been sent out to clients and users.

Thank You very much in Advance and please let me know if I haven't explained something correctly!

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postman24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back