Creating File Explorer hyperlinks with Excel

JeffCorkern

I want to put this new OneDrive cloud thingy to work.

I want to give customers access to their results files, but ONLY the files that are relevant to them.

I want to do this by creating a directory with the customer's name, then have Excel create File Explorer links to that customer's results files in a directory named for that customer, then give the customer access to that directory alone.

To repeat: I have a large directory labeled "Customer Results" with everybody's results in them.

I want to create directories named for customers, like "Poudel" and "Haggard."

Then I want to create File Explorer links in the customer-named directories to the files stored in "Customer Results".

I can't find even the slightest reference on how to do this anywhere. It's all about putting hyperlinks IN Excel files, which is not even remotely what I need. Yeah, I know I can save two copies of the files, but this would require MAJOR code re-writing.

I suspect I have come up with something Excel just can't do and only need to confirm this.

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Jeff, I haven't worked with OneDrive- but regarding code to create File Explorer links, you'll have better results searching for the keywords "VBA Creating Shortcuts" instead of Hyperlinks.

Here's one link to example code that could be used in Excel.
It requires adding a Library reference to the Microsoft Windows Script Host Object Model.

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...ctory-shortcut-visual-basic-applications.html

Upvote 0
I knew I was using the wrong keyword.

I have written tons and tons of code but it's all basically re-formatting files. Modifying the "Script Host Object Model" is going to be breaking new ground for me. Learn something new every day, I guess.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff Corkern
--------------------------------------------------
Consider the following as a statement of logic, and rank it as "True" or "False":

"If people possess immortal souls, it should be possible to logically deduce this by objective analysis of their actions."

http://www.theninepointfivetheses.blogspot.com

Upvote 0
Modifying the "Script Host Object Model" is going to be breaking new ground for me. Learn something new every day, I guess.

Jeff, Just to clarify- you won't be modifying that library- you are simply referencing the library which allows your VBA project to use its functions.

To do that, within the Visual Basic Editor > Tools > References...
find "Windows Script Host Object Model" in the list > check the box > Ok

Upvote 0
Done.

Wo-o-o-w, look at all the stuff in there. Reminds me of the old 4.0 Add-ins. (Yeah, I go back a ways.)

Jeff Corkern
Consider the following as a statement of logic, and rank it as "True" or "False":

"If people possess immortal souls, it should be possible to logically deduce this by objective analysis of their actions."

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Fudge. It won't work. Shortcuts don't work at the OneDrive Website the way they do on your computer. They won't link. If I want to do what I want, I will have to create a copy of the physical file.

Next upgrade, I suppose.

Jeff Corkern

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back