Creating nested IF(AND) statement to produce correct data

tps49

Hi there,

I am working with a spreadsheet that deals with construction costs that is giving me trouble. In this spreadsheet, I am given the total cost of construction as well as the start and end date for the project. My goal is to approximate (on a monthly basis) what the total spend per project is. For instance, if the project costs $10mm and lasts from Jan-May 2015, I want Excel to show $2mm in each cell from Jan-15 to May-15 and shows zeros in all other months and years.

The current formula that I'm using is:

=IF(AND($G3>T$1,T$1<$K3)=TRUE,+$O3,0)

Where column G is the project start date (formatted as mm/dd/yyyy), column T is the month and year (formatted as mmm-yy, or Jan-15), column K is the project end date, and column O is the approximated monthly spend. My logic, then, is trying to say:

- If the project start date is greater than or equal to the month and year AND

- If the project end date is less than or equal to the month and year, place the monthly spend approximation in this cell.

Currently, my formula is taking projects greater than or equal to 2014 and placing the monthly approximation in all twelve months. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this is...

Don't hesitate to let me know if I can help with further information. Any insight is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Apologies if any of this wording is unclear. Let me know if I can clarify something.

Upvote 0
Not 100% clear as to why it is not working.

As long as there is a date in Column T, it should be working. My advice is check that it is a date and not text.

n.b. Just for tidyness, you do not need =TRUE in the IF Formula.

Upvote 0
Thanks, ChrisBM. I checked to make sure that column T was a date, and the formula is still not displaying the correct numbers (I'm getting values in only 2014 - regardless of if the project starts in '15, '16, etc. - and getting that value until the month of the proposed project. For instance, if the project was to start in October 2014, I have the monthly spend value recording in Jan-14 through Oct-14.)

Other thoughts?

Upvote 0
An update to this: if I modify the formula to:

=IF(AND($G3<=T$1,T$1<$K3)=TRUE,$O3,0)

Then it works for every date up until March '15: I'm still getting zeros if the project starts or continues through that date.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back