Creating new worksheets and copying data automatically

culvekd

Hello-

I'm an English teacher, and VBA is new to me, but I know that Excel can do what I want. I keep a gradebook of all my students electronically, and Column A is their name, while Columns B-M are assignments they complete during the semester. So the primary worksheet is for my eyes only and has everyone's cumulative grades on it. What I'd like to do is be able to populate individual worksheets for each student (using a template perhaps?), naming the sheet with the student's name, and then having the individual assignment grades automatically entered onto that sheet in a different format than the primary.

For instance, the primary sheet would say John Doe|85|100|75

and a worksheet would be created titled John Doe that says
Assignment #1|85
Assignment #2|100
Assignment #3|75

so that I can print these out and give them to my students as a record of their grades.

I'm sure this is a multi-step process, and please keep in mind that I'm a noob, so you will have to tell me how to enter the code into VBA properly. I tried using a tutorial, and I'm generally pretty tech-savvy, but I keep getting a compile error following the tutorial's directions.

Thanks in advance for any advice or code!

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
I wouldn't use a macro for this.

You can vlookup based on the name - and use data validation to have a dropdown of all the names in your master sheet. In that way - the template sheet populates with whatever name you have chosen - and that persons results.

Upvote 0
OK, thanks- I see how VLookup can work to copy the information from my master to each student's individual grades...but how can I have Excel automatically create a new worksheet based on the template (and inserting the correct data) based on the list of names?

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

See if this does what you want:

<font face=Calibri><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> foo()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> c <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> i <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> MasterSheet <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Worksheet<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> MasterSheet = Sheets("Master")<br>    <br>        Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> c <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> MasterSheet.Range([A2], Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp))<br>                Worksheets.Add after:=Sheets(Sheets.Count)<br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> ActiveSheet<br>                    .Name = c.Value<br>                    .Range("A1").Value = c.Value<br>                    .Range("B1").Value = "Grade"<br>                    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> i = 2 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> MasterSheet.Cells(c.Row, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft)<br>                        .Cells(i, "A") = MasterSheet.Cells(1, i).Value<br>                        .Cells(i, "B") = MasterSheet.Cells(c.Row, i).Value<br>                    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> i<br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> c<br>            MasterSheet.Activate<br>        Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>        <br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Hope that helps,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slaytonpa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back