Creating Simple Charts

snappybob

Creating charts in Excel have always been a headache fro me. I am trying to create a simple pic chart of annual expenses. Excel will not let me create a chart using my data. Is there something I am doing wrong in the way I am structuring the data. Please see the pic below and the error message I am receiving. I am using excel 2013.lnk.

chart_fail.jpg
[/URL]image hosting no registration[/IMG]

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
can't see where that doesn't work, although you wouldn't include the total

Are they text values and not number

Upvote 0
I did before I commented, hence couldn't see why it wouldn't work

that said, in my currency view there is space between the symbol and value, yours are tight

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I went back and checked and they are indeed currency values. What seems curious to me is the message about 'some chart types cannot be combined with other charts types'. what other charts do I have? None.

Upvote 0
I had to stop working on this problem yesterday due to other planned activities. I tried opening up a new session of Excel this morning and trying to create a chart in that session and it worked flawlessly. I did a restart and the problem disappeared in the original file. I love it when a restart fixes everything but hate the feeling of 'why didn't you try that first silly'. All is well that ends well. Thanks so much for your help mole999. Much appreciated.

Upvote 0
glad it worked, yes excel and ms can benefit from a full restart when a variable gets trapped somewhere not obvious

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back