Creation of cells based on a user input number

RidingTooHigh

Hi all, I am looking to create a form in Excel that will serve as sort of a database. I want to be able to have a user enter a number into a cell and then have several cell fields be created based on that number.

For instance, if the user enters "3" into a field titled "number" I would like to have 4 new rows where 3 sets of information can be added underneath a row of headings. Is this even possible with Excel? Also, would it be possible to use formulas to calculate sums of sume of the newly created rows? Any comments would be wonderful. Thanks so much.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Hi

Being suitably vague, yes this can be done.

Do you want to append the new data on the end of existing data, or are you inserting new rows between the headings and existing data? What are the formulas to calculate? And so on...

Tony

Upvote 0
thanks for the help

Thanks so much for the reply. Basically I want to add the new rows beneath. If the user enters 3 I would like 4 rows to appear, one for a heading and 3 for information. In those 3 rows there will 3-4 different columns of information, only one of which, "price" will be used as part of a formula.

To give a real example, if the sheet were to call for the number of "Apples" to be ordered, and the user entered "3" so as to order 3 apples I would like for 4 rows, the first of which will have "type" which would be a text and then "cost." From there, I would like to be able to add the totals of the "cost" column to appear in another box that would permanantly be on the form. Does that make sense? Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Hi

Do you mean you want rows to be appended to an existing spreadhsheet, or for new input areas to be added to the form?

Tony

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back