cross referencing text strings

imported_unknown

I am working on a SS for my business and cannot, for the life of me, figure out how I can perform this function. I know it can be done though...

I have two columns....for example....I enter a salesperson's name in A1 and need B1 to cross reference(a table?) and autofill with the corresponding managers name.

Keep in mind I have to work with Excel 95 format. Our company hasn't upgraded yet...I'm working at home off of XP, but need to save my work in the older format for work puposes.

Can someone send me in the right direction here? Thanks...Mike

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Hey thanks for the quick advice.....I had tried that function before....after your advice fiddled with it a bit more at whalla! got it to work!!!

=VLOOKUP(B9,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$8,2,FALSE)

An additional question in reference to this formula....what purpose is the "FALSE" in this formula? I would think if anything, "TRUE" would be what I was looking for to make this thing work. But why ask why right? I just need to know...that's why....

Thanks

Upvote 0
Range_lookup is a logical value that specifies whether you want VLOOKUP to find an exact match or an approximate match. If TRUE or omitted, an approximate match is returned. In other words, if an exact match is not found, the next largest value that is less than lookup_value is returned. If FALSE, VLOOKUP will find an exact match. If one is not found, the error value #N/A is returned.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back