cross referencing training modules based on labs, employees, and students

drunktrainpolka

hello...

i am getting beaten up on this one.

we have various labs. these labs are associated with various training modules related to safety - each lab has their own requirements and are listed as 'Xs'. so far so good.

on another sheet i have a list of students and employees. and again a list of the labs. i want see the training modules to be assigned to each person based on the labs they work in (e.g., 1, 2, 5).

i could use a super long if statement but i am looking to use arrays to keep the formula simpler and smaller.

safe 01safe 02safe 03safe 04safe 05safe 06safe 07safe 08safe 09
lab 01xxx
lab 02xx
lab 03xxxx
lab 04xx

<tbody>
</tbody>

lab 01lab 02lab 03lab 04
maryxxx
joexx
lukexx
jimxxxx

<tbody>
</tbody>

how do i output this:

safe 01safe 02safe 03safe 04safe 05safe 06safe 07safe 08safe 09
maryxxxxxxx
joexxxxx
lukexxxxxx
jimxxxxxxxx

<tbody>
</tbody>

i am getting really beat up on this...

thanks in advance....

kiko

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Welcome!

does this do what you want?

<b>Array Formulas</b><table cellpadding="2.5px" width="100%" rules="all" style="border: 1px solid;text-align:center;background-color: #FFFFFF;border-collapse: collapse; border-color: #BBB"><thead><tr style=" background-color: #DAE7F5;color: #161120"><th width="10px">Cell</th><th style="text-align:left;padding-left:5px;">Formula</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr><th width="10px" style=" background-color: #DAE7F5;color: #161120">B10</th><td style="text-align:left">{=IF(<font color="Blue">ISNUMBER(<font color="Red">MATCH(<font color="Green">"x",TRANSPOSE(<font color="Purple">IF(<font color="Teal">INDEX(<font color="#FF00FF">$M$2:$P$5,MATCH(<font color="Navy">$A10,$L$2:$L$5,0</font>),</font>)="x",TRANSPOSE(<font color="#FF00FF">B$2:B$5</font>)</font>)</font>),0</font>)</font>),"x",""</font>)}</td></tr></tbody></table><b>Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter.</b> If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.</td></tr></table><br />

Excel 2013
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP
1safe 01safe 02safe 03safe 04safe 05safe 06safe 07safe 08safe 09lab 01lab 02lab 03lab 04
2lab 01xxxmaryxxx
3lab 02xxjoexx
4lab 03xxxxlukexx
5lab 04xxjimxxxx
9safe 01safe 02safe 03safe 04safe 05safe 06safe 07safe 08safe 09
10maryxxxxxxx
11joexxxxx
12lukexxxxxx
13jimxxxxxxxx
Sheet4

Upvote 0
THANK YOU!

i am working on 'transposing' the formula to my work sheet... which is pretty big - there are 17 training modules, 46 labs, and 135 people.

i was having a hard time using an array the right way... thanks.

my only concern, because of how my sheets are set up, is that i don't use the names as correlation inside MATCH. i am only using the row number is that makes any sense - instead of using (in your table) L2, i am using M2:P2. using the names possibly creates more problems (or more functions) since the first and last names are separate and there are common last names.

you can see it better here:

https://drive.google.com/a/mtu.edu/file/d/0BxRspATNGnTtVkVBZEg0UFh5MlU/view?usp=sharing

i will try to modify what you have posted...

thanks again, kiko

Welcome!

does this do what you want?

Array Formulas
CellFormula
B10{=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("x",TRANSPOSE(IF(INDEX($M$2:$P$5,MATCH($A10,$L$2:$L$5,0),)="x",TRANSPOSE(B$2:B$5))),0)),"x","")}

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

Excel 2013
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP
1safe 01safe 02safe 03safe 04safe 05safe 06safe 07safe 08safe 09lab 01lab 02lab 03lab 04
2lab 01xxxmaryxxx
3lab 02xxjoexx
4lab 03xxxxlukexx
5lab 04xxjimxxxx
9safe 01safe 02safe 03safe 04safe 05safe 06safe 07safe 08safe 09
10maryxxxxxxx
11joexxxxx
12lukexxxxxx
13jimxxxxxxxx

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet4

Upvote 0
i tried this... trying to follow yours:

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("x",TRANSPOSE(IF(INDEX($I$10:$BC$84,MATCH($B10,$B$10:$B$84,0),)="x",TRANSPOSE('Lab Assignments'!F$9:F$55))),0)),"x","") (with CAE)

there were no errors but i think the issue is on the second MATCH command...

regardless, i should (i hope) be able to figure it out...

thanks!

Upvote 0
that's too bad... could i try e-mailing it?

try this other link maybe:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxRspATNGnTtb2pTUll4Sk1xTmc/view?usp=sharing

or maybe this will help...

one sheet has the labs vertically and modules horizontally. like you have it.

the other sheet, is different.

the names are vertical, then labs horizontally, and the modules horizontally:

lab 01lab 02safe 01safe 02
mary
joe

<tbody>
</tbody>

so i would click on the labs that mary and joe work in. the table would then refer to to the other sheet and post the results on 'safe 01'(1:2) and 'safe 02'(1:2).

kiko

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i am still having one hell of a hard time...

sheet one:

safe 1safe 2safe 3safe 4safe 5safe 6safe 7safe 8
lab 01xxx
lab 02x
lab 03xxxx
lab 04xx

<tbody>
</tbody>

sheet two:

lab 01lab 02lab 03lab 04safe 1safe 2safe 3safe 4safe 5safe 6safe 7safe 8
maryxxx
joexx
lukexx
jimxxxx

<tbody>
</tbody>

so i am looking for the results to show up on the 4x8 matrix (safe 1-safe 8 x mary-jim)

thanks in advance!

THANK YOU!

i am working on 'transposing' the formula to my work sheet... which is pretty big - there are 17 training modules, 46 labs, and 135 people.

i was having a hard time using an array the right way... thanks.

my only concern, because of how my sheets are set up, is that i don't use the names as correlation inside MATCH. i am only using the row number is that makes any sense - instead of using (in your table) L2, i am using M2:P2. using the names possibly creates more problems (or more functions) since the first and last names are separate and there are common last names.

you can see it better here:

https://drive.google.com/a/mtu.edu/file/d/0BxRspATNGnTtVkVBZEg0UFh5MlU/view?usp=sharing

i will try to modify what you have posted...

thanks again, kiko

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back