CSV files opening fine, but are saved as UNICODE files with delimiters changed to tabs.

Neillsm

Hullo community,

This is my first post - and I hope that someone can help.

I have a folder full of auto-generated (from a process tool) *.csv files - these have comma delimiters when viewed notepad, are recognised as Microsoft Excel Comma Separated Values File in windows and open in Excel (2010) with all the columns and rows where you would expect them.

My problems is that when I opened a few to make some edits, then CTRL+S the files saved - it took me a while to realise the "Saving as CSV-formatting will be lost" dialogue never appeared - when I checked the files (still called *.csv, still reporting to be a comma separated file) they opened in Excel as one column of text. A check in notepad showed that the file was flat text with no delimiters.

When I opened another (unedited) *.csv from this folder and chose "Save As" the default option (which should be the original file type) it was wanting to save as UNICODE text.

No other *.csv files exhibit this strange behaviour - only the ones in this folder - created by this tool - The danger is that others will open and save these files and break the delimiters.

Any ideas?

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
first guess would be the tool is not creating the csv files correctly... simpliest fix might be to have the developers repair the issue. If thats not possible then maybe you could resolve it yourself.

By that I mean, if you file save as, does it then resolve the issue? If so, perhaps we can create something to resave everything in the folder in a loop?

*If it helps i think this error pops up when you have unsupport special charators like Japaense of tidles from spanish and french....

Upvote 0
first guess would be the tool is not creating the csv files correctly... simpliest fix might be to have the developers repair the issue. If thats not possible then maybe you could resolve it yourself.

By that I mean, if you file save as, does it then resolve the issue? If so, perhaps we can create something to resave everything in the folder in a loop?

*If it helps i think this error pops up when you have unsupport special charators like Japaense of tidles from spanish and french....

Now that last point is an interesting one - The tool that generates the file is from Taiwan. That might be the source of the error.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
the problem may caused by using different separator, such as US use "," and UK use ";" to separate column. I recommand you to use notepad (notepad++) to edit any of the CSV file you made. press ctrl+h to repalce all the separator at once

Upvote 0
the problem may caused by using different separator, such as US use "," and UK use ";" to separate column. I recommand you to use notepad (notepad++) to edit any of the CSV file you made. press ctrl+h to repalce all the separator at once

It's definitely not that - The files start out looking like this:

Code:
LotNo:,P32102.3_043
Total,6388
,Min,Avg,Max,Std,,,,,,,,,
CONTA,0.0,0.000,0.0,0.0,
CONTC,0.0,0.000,0.0,0.0,
POLAR,1.000,1.000,1.000,0.000,
VF1,0.0,0.000,0.0,0.0,
VF2,1.147,2.396,2.439,0.101,

I'm in the UK and I have never seen semi-colon separated files!

Upvote 0
i recommend to put the title in the first row and don't leave the first column empty. it seems the system don't understand how many columns you have. your excel file should look like:
column1column2column3column4
row1title1title2title3title4
row21101001000
row32202002000
row43303003000

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back