Csv files

Ramsee2020

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
When i down loaded a csv file and opened it in excel 2013 all data is loaded correctly in the excel worksheet. I.e all data is in columns and numerical values are displayed as numbers.
When I open a csv file in excel 2016 all data is displayed as comma delimited data in one row.

Is there a setting in excel 2016 that i can use to avoid the long process of converting data into colums

Still doing it with excel 13 but for some inknown reason excel 2016 on my other laptop does not do it. Nobody have an explanation

This below is copied from the link.
Maybe it can help you.
CSV files are character separated value files, not necessarily comma separated. For more than half the world the separator character is a semicolon (; ), not a comma (,)
Excel 2016 properly respects your Windows regional settings, and uses the specified List Separator character
One solution is to change your regional settings for the List Separator attribute to the character you want Excel to default to using, e.g. a comma (,)
This can be changed in the operating system Control Panel, under Region settings, Additional Settings, List separator
For various reasons some people seem to have the incorrect regional settings for the culture they most commonly work in, and therefore have semicolon as the default separator
If you prefer not to change your operating system regional setting to what you think is normal for CSV files, you can change the default behavior in Excel with the Use system separators checkbox under the File/Options/Advanced menu
If you want custom options each time you open a CSV file, use the Data/From Text menu, but this becomes slow and awkward for lots of files
CSV References:

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Control Panel - Clock and Region - Region - Additional settings - check the List separator.

1583680750000.png

Upvote 0
You can only use point or comma. Nothing else
You can change it to anything you like, you just manually type it in and click apply
Should I change it to a point ( . )
No
Check what it is set as in excel, as below
If you prefer not to change your operating system regional setting to what you think is normal for CSV files, you can change the default behavior in Excel with the Use system separators checkbox under the File/Options/Advanced menu

If it is set as , then we need to see the CSV file as sandy666 has already requested.

Upvote 0
In excel 2016 the system separator is a comma (,)
Should i change it?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back