CSV Files

MoogBot

Hello all,

I download Csv files that contains financial information from a data provider (income statements, balance sheets, etc.). They used to open correctly in excel for mac 2011 when i double clicked on them (data correctly converted to colums, e.g. line name "property, plant and equipment" is in one column although it does contain a comma) . Now, they don't anymore. Excel says:

Excel does not recognize this file format.

This file may have been created in an application that is not compatible with Excel. To save the file in a different format, click cancel, open the file in the application that it was created in, and then save it in a format that is compatible with Excel, such as Comma Seperated Values (.csv).
If you still want to open the file in its original format, click ok, and then follow the instructions on the screen to import the file.

Data is then shown in the first column with no parsing. I have 2 options now:

1) text to columns: this does not work because it breaks line name that contain comma's into different columns
2) import text file: this does work but it's not as quick as just double clicking on the csv file and having it opened correctly, as it used to be.

Any ideas why this stopped working? I suppose the problem lies with the data provider, because my old downloads still work correctly. However when i compare a new csv file to an old one by clicking 'get info' they both seem the same (file type: csv)

Best

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back