csv viewer

ricenwater

Hello all,

I've always gotten great help on these boards. So I hope someone can help me again. Here is my situation:

I currently use a program that searches call records in a telephone switch. When the results come back, there may be more than the maxium records that Excel can read. The call record search program is able to display all the call record w/o any problems. When I close the program, the results are saved in a CSV file. The call record seach program (for some stupid reason) won't let you go back to and open the CSV file that it created. Since Excel will only read the first 65,536 rows I can't view all the records.

Does anyone know of any CSV file viewers (or any other application) that will read CSV files with more than 65,536 rows? I know I can convert the CSV file into an Access database, but I would like something where I can view the CSV files w/o a conversion process.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
hmmm...yeah..i tried googling csv file viewer w/o any luck (and i did come across the link from previous post) before posting the topic. wordpad (or any other text editor) will open csv files...but i want to open them in a spreed sheet form...i'll poke around some more. it's times like these i wish the internet wasnt so large. hehehe

Upvote 0
Hi
You can do this in Access without going through the process of "converting the file into an Access Database". If the file always has the same name and is always stored in the same place then you can "link" the csv file into the database and any changes to the file are automatically reflected in the database - you can then view the file as you would a spreadsheet (the table view is similar to a spreadsheet) any time, any network enabled place. Yes it requires the initial set up (create a database and link the file) but once that is done there is nothing more to do. Given the file is larger than 65k (of records) then another advantage of using Access is the ability to set up indexes, write queries etc - which will speed up any search / seek / summarise processes.
Andrew

Upvote 0
And You can also use the spreadsheet-component that is shipped with OWC (Office Web Components) that have 700 columns and about 272000 rows to play with.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back