Ctrl - ` not showing values?

ZapBrain

Hi all! I've been using this board for a while (I always found the answer so I never needed to register) and its an unbelieveable wealth of information.

I can't seem to get excel to calculate my formula. It just shows the formula exactly as I type it. I tried ctrl-` but it didn't help.

Can someone help me please. My hands are tied, and I can't get any work done.

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
I'm assuming ctrl -` toggles Formula Auditing mode. So no I'm not in formula auditing mode. The cell is formatted as general. I switched it to text, number, etc.. there is no difference. Its still just showing the formula.

Upvote 0
Is it just one cell and one formula or all?
Just one particular workbook or Excel in general?
Have you closed Excel and re-opened? Any change?

Upvote 0
I know you have tried all the formats but you may try putting it in general then pressing ctrl h and in both boxes placing the equal sign and replace.

Upvote 0
Its all formula's in a workbook.
This problem pops up in most of the new workbooks that i create. Past workbooks that originally were fine, stay ok.
Resatring excel doesn't help.

I just went back to try what brian said, and BEHOLD! The Great Excel God had decided to show values!!

I don't know why its showing values now.

This has happened in the past. It shows values, and then when I create a new workbook, the formulas stop working. It's not every time I create a new workbook that this happens. Is there any type of setting or something that i might inadvertently change (only sometimes) when i create a new workbook?

Upvote 0
Basically the times this happens to me the most is when I inadvertantly had the cell as a text format before I entered the formula. But this is an easy fix.

select all the affected cells, format generally, ctrl + h, and replace all equal signs with an equal sign.

Edit-BTW, the replace is simply forcing the format to take place. another way you could do this.... longer method, would be to format then to press F2 and enter forcing the format to take place. There are many other methods as well... this is just the quickest for me.

Upvote 0
I see so if the cell is formatted as text, the formula will not be calculated.

Great! thanks alot!

:biggrin: I Love this Borad :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GBCTeacher

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back