Ctrl + shift + down within a formula not working

Jbutler6

I am having an issue with using Ctrl + Shift + Down arrow to select a range within a formula. if i set up a formula =sum( and then select the first cell to get =sum(A1. I used to be able to bring in a range of cells by using the ctrl + shift + down shortcut to get to =sum(A1:A100). Now, as soon as i hit ctrl + shift its cuts off the formula and continues with nagivation in the cells only. I have tried the Lotus Compatability Transitional Navigation solution and this does not work. Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
I'm not sure what the Lotus Compatability Transitional Navigation solution is but you could try hitting F2 to toggle between edit and enter modes.

Upvote 0
I had been using the left one. Just tested it with the right shift key and had the same effect.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this will help you, but I was having the same issue. I checked the Lotus Compatibility Transition Navigation button and it was unchecked, however when I completely closed out of Excel and checked it again it was checked. I unchecked the box, and I was able to quickly write formulas again.

Upvote 0
I've been experiencing the same issue in Excel 2010 and could not find any other reports of this problem anywhere. If I'm not editing a cell and just navigating in Excel, Ctrl + Shift + Down will correctly select a range of cells. However if I'm trying to select a range of cells as an argument to a function in a formula, pressing Ctrl + Shift + Down saves the formula where it is (if possible) and then selects cells below the active cell.

After some experimentation I think it's related to formatting. For me, the error starts to occur immediately after opening a web page file saved with an .xls extension. It is an "Excel" report generated out of Oracle BI Publisher with various formatting. After the report is opened, the error will occur in all open workbooks and will continue until Excel is restarted, even if the offending report is closed.

If I copy the report range to a new workbook, save that workbook as an actual Excel file (.xlsx) then close Excel; then opening that new workbook will also trigger the issue and it remains until Excel is closed again.

If I instead open the report, Clear Formats and then save the workbook as an actual Excel file; then the issue remains while Excel is still open, but after closing Excel and reopening the new workbook the issue is gone.

So, it seems some issue with formatting can trigger this issue that will persist until Excel is closed. If this issue is occurring for someone else, I suggest the following actions if possible:

1. Close Excel entirely
2. Open one workbook at a time, testing creating a formula each time, to determine which workbook is triggering the issue
3. Copy required data and formulas from the offending workbook; or remove all formatting from the offending workbook and resave
4. Close Excel again and avoid opening the offending workbook

If this isn't sufficient, some further investigation may uncover exactly what formatting is causing the issue.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksonnia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back