pspady1210

Whenever I attempt to cut using CTRL-X in Microsoft Excel 2003, I get a Microsoft Visual Basic error: Argument not optional. To my knowledge I am not having any other problems. I am able right-click and choose cut or choose it from the Edit pull-down ... it is just the shortcut key that is not working. I am not having this problem in any other program. I have attempted shutting down, Detect & Repair, searching in Google, and searching Microsoft but I cannot resolve my problem. I do not have anything set up in Visual Basic nor any macros running. HEELLPP!!!

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Hello and welcome to The Board.
It really does sound to me that there is a macro involved somewhere, with the shortcut key set to Ctrl + x.
With Excel 2003 I think that it is Tools | Macros, select a macro name and click 'options' that will show any shortcut key assigned.
Alternatively when you get the Visual Basic error you should be able to find out where the failure is occurring - try Ctrl + Break to go into debug mode.

Upvote 0
Whenever I attempt to cut using CTRL-X in Microsoft Excel 2003, I get a Microsoft Visual Basic error: Argument not optional. To my knowledge I am not having any other problems. I am able right-click and choose cut or choose it from the Edit pull-down ... it is just the shortcut key that is not working. I am not having this problem in any other program. I have attempted shutting down, Detect & Repair, searching in Google, and searching Microsoft but I cannot resolve my problem. I do not have anything set up in Visual Basic nor any macros running. HEELLPP!!!

Look at the tools Menu, go down to Customise, look at the keyboard section and select to reset. Hopefully that should resolve your issue unless there are MACROs in the Personal Workbook when you open Excel.

Upvote 0
Derek ... I tried what you suggested. There are no macros listed; therefore, nothing for me to select to get to the options. I went to Visual Basic and did the Ctrl+Break and nothing.

Trevor ... Athough in the Customize there isn't a tab for keyboard, I went ahead and reset the Menu & tool bar usage data on the Options tab as well as resetting on the Toolbars tab.

I went ahead and closed out all my programs and shut down again but still have the same problem. It doesn't matter if it is a brand new spreadsheet wiht nothing on it or a spreadsheet I've used previously.

Any new ideas?

Upvote 0
Only other suggestion at this time is what happens if you record a macro to use a cut the cell, and assign the Ctrl X what would your version throw up?

Upvote 0
What happens if you use the customise options click the cut button and then select modify then use the &X

In the help if you type in Assign or Change a keyboard Shortcut it will give you details as mentioned.

Good luck

Upvote 0
I seriously didn't think this would happen but I am still getting the same error when I create a macro of Ctrl+x. I tested just to make sure by creating another macro to do the same thing but using the Ctrl-q. That one works fine. Just as an FYI, in case you're wondering, I've checked caps lock, scroll lock, num lock, pause/break.

I also looked at the keyboard shortcut ... that doesn't change what is used for the Ctl function, it only changes what is used for the Alt function. Am I missing something?

I'm going to check my keyboard.

Upvote 0
It has to be assoicated with something else and not Excel. I had someone else log into my computer ... no problems. I logged into a different comptuer ... no problems. I've got a call with someone in about 5 minutes and I think the problem is associated with software that was loaded on this computer. I just want to say thank you to both of you and I am so sorry to have taken your time. Thanks so much again for your help! Maybe I can return the favor sometime. :cool: Penny

Upvote 0
You are welcome and sorry that we couldn't resolve it, but hope your IT peeps can.

Upvote 0
It is associated with a program they loaded on my computer. Good thing I did what I said here because that was really my proof. I know if it would have been a true excel problem, you would have been able to help me out. Thanks again!! Penny

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back