Joe7745

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I’m trying to do a cumulative count but I want it to skip columns with 0.

example column 1 (October) has 0, column 2 (September) has 6, column 3 (November) has 0 and column 4 (December) has 5.

I want it to cumulative count but not add a number in the zero column. This data goes on a chart so I want that month to remain 0 but cumulative count the months greater than zero. The data will constantly change so the formula needs to account for the columnpossibly not being zero but if it were not to cumulative count.

The chart uses a bar graph which intersect with a line graph. The line graph is the number we should graduate each month, the bar is actual grads. It needs to cumulative count to see when we “catch back up”.

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Welcome to the Board!

I think you should be able to use the COUNTIF formula, with the criteria of ">0", to not count the cells with 0.
See: COUNTIF function

Upvote 0
I tried that but then the issue is getting column 2 to automatically count with column 4 to continue cumulative counting.

Upvote 0
tried that but then the issue is getting column 2 to automatically count with column 4 to continue cumulative counting.
I don't really understood what you are saying.
Maybe have a COUNTIF for each column, and add the 2 COUNTIF formulas together?

Or, if looking for a cumulative count in column B of the data in columns A, assuming row 1 is the title row, you would place this formula in B2 and copy down for all rows:
=COUNTIF(A$2:A2,">0")

If I am way off base on what you are looking, please try to post an example. Many times seeing it is very beneficial in understanding what you are trying to do.
You can post images with the tool found here: XL2BB - Excel Range to BBCode

Upvote 0
FC525497-3ECF-4EEF-BE8E-14BB7561EFB6.jpeg

Ok this data comes from another sheet. I’d like The grads portion to cumulative count and leave the months with zero as a zero. This data constantly changes so the numbers can constantly change. I’m trying to find a formula that I won’t have to keep updating.

23596DA2-2A63-4D2B-A9E9-079C4A723003.jpeg

The data from the planned grads is the line going up on the chart. The bars come from the data I’m trying to cumulative count. The bars should eventually meet the line if we graduate what we planned. If we didn’t graduate someone in a month I need it zero. I probably just confused everyone. I appreciate the help.

Upvote 0
Those images are way too small and blurry for me to read.
I am just concerned about the formula, and not the chart itself. I assume if you get the formula working correctly, then the chart should be fine, as long as you have set it up correctly.

Upvote 0
When I get home I’ll provide better details. My work blocks this site so I’m on my phone.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back