Cumulative totals on individual items

imported_unknown

I need to keep a running total on 18 individual items. There will be entries against these items weekly. How can I do this. I have tried everything using a current and cumulative column and nothing works.
Thanks
Lctrues
This message was edited by lctrues on 2002-09-29 18:10

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Kind of depends on how your data is set up. In most cases, if you want straightforward summary data then pivot tables will do it...check them out, & post back with more details on what you're trying to do ifyou need...

Paddy

Upvote 0
This is an example of what I need:
WeekEnding Current Cumulative
9/28/02 100 100
The following week I would replace the week ending date with a current date, replace the current with that weeks production and update the cumulative to reflect all previous and the current for one grand total. I have had some experience with Pivot Tables and will keep looking at them.
Thanks for helping me.
Lctrues
On 2002-09-29 18:09, lctrues wrote:
I need to keep a running total on 18 individual items. There will be entries against these items weekly. How can I do this. I have tried everything using a current and cumulative column and nothing works.
Thanks
Lctrues
This message was edited by lctrues on 2002-09-29 18:10

Upvote 0
If your data was something like below, you could use the sumif function.
Department Purchases
Marketing $1,250
Sales $300
Personnel $850
Personnel $640
Sales $13,500
Sales $285
Sales $6,400
Marketing $3,800
Sales $150
Total Marketing purchases $5,050

Formula for total marketing purchases is =SUMIF(A1:A9,"Marketing",B1:B9)

Upvote 0
The cumulative totals have to be on individual items as well as an overall cumulative total. Your formular will work great for the overall..It is the individual that is a royal pain.
On 2002-09-29 18:35, jmuscat wrote:
Department Purchases
Marketing $1,250
Sales $300
Personnel $850
Personnel $640
Sales $13,500
Sales $285
Sales $6,400
Marketing $3,800
Sales $150

Upvote 0
Department Purchases Cum Purchases
Marketing $1,250 $2,000
An example would be that $800 was entered last week as that weeks marketing purchases. That amount with the $1,250 would be my cumulative. This is an ongoing cycle.
On 2002-09-29 18:35, jmuscat wrote:
Department Purchases
Marketing $1,250
Sales $300
Personnel $850
Personnel $640
Sales $13,500
Sales $285
Sales $6,400
Marketing $3,800
Sales $150

Upvote 0
please be clearer about how your data is set up - detail the ranges that your data is in, the calculation you want performed etc - give an example & the expected outcome. consider downloading the html maker addin from the link below this post.

Paddy

Upvote 0
There is an object variable missing once I downloaded the html maker addin. I will try to be clearer on what I need. I am in the process of setting up a spreadsheet that will allow the entry of weekly production of topsoil deliveries by county. I must have a column that will also reflect the cumulative production by county. I will be entering the weekly numbers for a few months. At the end of the production I need to know how much topsoil was delivered into each county.
I hope I have explained this a little better.
Thanks for your time.
On 2002-09-29 19:04, PaddyD wrote:
please be clearer about how your data is set up - detail the ranges that your data is in, the calculation you want performed etc - give an example & the expected outcome. consider downloading the html maker addin from the link below this post.

Paddy

Upvote 0
OK - I'm still not clear on how your data is set up. If you're having problems with the addin, you could post with explicit descriptions e.g. in row 1 I have data headings, in col A I have countries, I want to...Then give an example of your data & the expected outcome.

See also here:
http://www.mrexcel.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=12429&forum=2

for an example of how to do cumulative & running totals (year to date in this case).

Post back with more info...

Paddy

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back