Curious... Can Excel a relative formula instead of values to the Office Clipboard?

braindiesel

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I have taught that you cannot copy a relative formula to the office clipboard.. Excel copies the Values only as shown...
1594235525877.png

But... is there a way to copy the =SUM(B2:B9)...
a check box or shortcut I have missed all these years?

I am aware that I can select the formula in the bar and copy that as a text string... not what I am looking for.
Just curious if it can be done (without VBA)

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
If I copy B10:D10 & paste in F10 it pastes the formula, although the ranges in the formula will change to match the location.
That's just using Ctrl C & Ctrl V

Upvote 0
Yeah, I know that method... my question is.. can you do essentially Ctrl C Ctrl V with a formula... but use the clipboard for mass collection... retaining the formula.

I do not believe so... but if there is a way, I figured this is the place to ask.

Upvote 0
Sorry but I don't understand what your asking.

Upvote 0
In your previous post you suggested copy and paste which pastes the relative formula (assuming no $'s in formula)
If you copy to the clipboard it copies the values (formula results).... not the formulas...

I am asking... is there a way to do what you said... ctrlc ctrlv... through the clipboard....
Copy multiple relative formulas and then paste from clipboard those formulas....

I dont think it can be done... Just wondering if I am wrong and there is a way I dont know...

Upvote 0
If you copy some cells then paste them elsewhere and they are relative they are pasted as relative. If you want them absolute then make them absolute.

Upvote 0
If you copy some cells then paste them elsewhere and they are relative they are pasted as relative. If you want them absolute then make them absolute.
What I want to know is... is there a way to copy a cell with a formula with the office clipboard pane open and have the formula copied .. not the result of the formula...

In my original image I copied cells with sum formulas... the office clipboard stored the results of the formulas.... not the formulas themselves

I am wondering if the functionality to copy the formula is there... I dont think it is... I am asking if it is and I have missed it.

Upvote 0
I am not aware of such functionality but you can easily do that with vba.

Upvote 0
Hi,
On Ribbon - Formulas - select "Show Formulas" and then copy (absolute) formulas into the clipboard via Ctrl-C

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeymonster123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back