custom autofilter problem

Jshugs

Hello-

I'm trying to create a macro that uses a form where someone can search for a part number (or part of a part number) in a field and the macro will search for that part. I'm using the custom autofilter "contains" option to do this.

Code:
 Sheets(MainSheet).Range("$B$1:$O$" & DataLastRow).AutoFilter Field:=Col - 1, Criteria1:= _
        SearchWords(jj), Operator:=xlFilterValues

If Sheets(MainSheet).Range(Cells(2, Col), Cells(DataLastRow, Col)).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Count > 0 Then

On Error Resume Next

Set FiltRange = Sheets(MainSheet).Range(Cells(2, Col), Cells(DataLastRow, Col)).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)

On Error GoTo ERR1

End If
It works fine, except when someone types in something that returns no results, like SearchWords(jj)="*adafsfd*" I've tried everything to fix it. The line below gives the error

Code:
Sheets(MainSheet).Range(Cells(2, Col), Cells(DataLastRow, Col)).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)
I tried catching that error, but I still get a runtime "No cells were found" Does anyone know how I can fix this? Maybe check if no cells are visible or something?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

-Jon

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
I think i made a little mistake. It is actually a "text filter", not a "custom filter", but I don't think it matters too much.

thanks!
-Jon

Upvote 0
I usually put in a count after applied the filter to see if there are more than 1 rows.

Upvote 0
how do you count? I thought I tried that, and it still comes up with an error. Refer to my code above.

thanks!
-Jon

Upvote 0
Jon

What's a 'text filter'?

What you seem to be using is an Auto Filter and you don't seem to be qualifying all your ranges. ie not providing a worksheet reference.

This is your code with the ranges properly referenced.
Code:
    With Sheets(MainSheet)

.Range("$B$1:$O$" & DataLastRow).AutoFilter Field:=Col - 1, Criteria1:=SearchWords(jj), Operator:=xlFilterValues

If .Range(.Cells(2, Col), .Cells(DataLastRow, Col)).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Count > 0 Then

Set FiltRange = .Range(.Cells(2, Col), .Cells(DataLastRow, Col)).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)

End If

End With
It probably won't solve the problem you describe but it's always a good idea.

What error message are you getting?

Is it something to do with there being no visible cells?

If it is then perhaps you could add a check to see if the filter is going to return any records before you go ahead with it.

One way to do that might be to use Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SarahSomethingExcel100

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back