Custom controls not showing in Add-ins ribbon tab and XML error

Shneuph

Hello..

This is my first time posting a question so I'm sorry if I don't follow protocol exactly. I'll try.
We are using Windows7 with Excel 2007. We have old code from excel 2003 and earlier that was adding a msoControlPopup with other sub-controls using the code below:
Code:
    Set HelpMenu = CommandBars(1).FindControl(Id:=30010)

If HelpMenu Is Nothing Then
'       Add the menu to the end
        Set AirFlowMenu = CommandBars(1).Controls.Add _
          (Type:=msoControlPopup, temporary:=True)
    Else
'      Add the menu before Help
        Set AirFlowMenu = CommandBars(1).Controls.Add _
          (Type:=msoControlPopup, Before:=HelpMenu.Index, temporary:=True)
    End If

'   Add a caption for the menu
    AirFlowMenu.Caption = "&Air Circulation"

'   FIRST MENU ITEM A
    Set MenuItem = AirFlowMenu.Controls.Add _
      (Type:=msoControlButton)
    With MenuItem
        .Caption = "&Save Air Circulation"
        .ShortcutText = "Ctrl+Shift+S"
        .FaceId = 3
        .OnAction = "SaveFileAsDir"
    End With

etc...

It still works in Excel 2007 and adds a pulldown in the Add-ins ribbon tab. However, randomly yesterday it stopped showing up in only MY add-ins ribbon tab. It still shows in other users ribbons. Now, I also checked the box in Excel Options>Advanced>Show Add-in user interface errors and when I have that checked I get this error when Excel opens:

msgbox title "Custom UI Runtime Error in Send to Bluetooth"
msgbox content:
Error found in Custom UI XML of "Send to Bluetooth":

Line:1
Column:199
Error Code 0xC00CEE21
Whitespace expected

buttons: OK, OK to All

(sorry, IDK if I can attach an image of that msgbox)

I tried going to Excel Options>Customize>Reset to reset any customizations to the quick access toolbar as this was recommended by something else I found online. This did not fix the problem.

I can find the control in the Immediate window but it just isn't showing in the add-ins tab.
Any suggestions? Does anyone know if I can find and repair that XML file perhaps?
Thank you.

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Can you make a macro to just unload the menu from the Add-in? perhaps for some perverse reason it didn't unload properly last time you closed it, which now prevents it from loading a second copy

Upvote 0
Your code doesn't seem to have anything to do with the error message. What other add-ins do you have loaded?

Upvote 0
I have the following COM add-ins enabled:
1) Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Addin
2) BluebeamOfficeAddIn
3) Send to Bluetooth

The error message seems to be caused by the send to bluetooth addin. I've tried disabling it and enabling it again and it doesn't fix the problem.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't expect that to fix anything. I think you'll probably need to disable it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help Rory.. I've disabled all COM addins. Now the addins tab on the ribbon doesn't even show up. I can see my custom control with commandbars(1).controls(10).caption but it doesn't show in the addins tab. (like I said.. the tab doesn't even show) I think there is a problem with the ribbon xml file (as the error message indicates) and therefore my controls do not show in the Ribbon. I don't know where the xml file is or how to fix it though. Any ideas on how to check/fix that?

Upvote 0
I can see my custom control with commandbars(1).controls(10).caption but it doesn't show in the addins tab. (like I said.. the tab doesn't even show)

What do you mean by that - where can you see the control?

Upvote 0
I just mean the control exists (it has been added to commandbars(1) ). However, I can't see the controls visually anywhere in the GUI. It is not automatically showing up in the addins tab like it has in the past.

Upvote 0
Have you thought about reworking the workbook to use the Ribbon properly?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rik81h

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back