Custom Function?:moving between tabs based on a named range

whr4th

This is a long shot - but I thought I would give the smart guys on the board a shot.

Background: I have financial data for multiple properties that is too big to fit onto one worksheet (not enough columns and turning it to rows won't help for long if I add more properties) :oops: . I have been using a combination of Offset/Index/Match to lookup the data based on which property is being examined. I now have too much data and cannot use the same simple methodology and will have to put each property's data on a separate tab.

Goal: To create a function (b/c I don't believe I can use standard excel functions) that, based upon the results of a particular named range (which is manipulated via a combo box), will start the offset function from a cell on a specific tab. When the user changes the property, the formula has to change its offset starting point from a new tab. :eek:

My hope was that I could essentially recreate my original formula (see below) with a custom function. Since I have not done many custom functions I was hoping for some ideas.

Current formula and definition of terms:
OFFSET('[TTM Database.xls]Database'!$A757,0,INDEX(List3,MATCH(PropName,List2)))

'[TTM Database... = filename with static "Database" tab. This is the section that needs to move based on the property chosen
Index(List3... = how many columns to move over based on the results of the
Match(PropName,List2) = finds the chosen property in the list and returns its location

Simply put, start at A757, and move over a certain number of columns based on the property chosen by the user

Please help oh board gurus. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Re: Custom Function?:moving between tabs based on a named ra

After doing some additional research and board investigation, I believe that I can insert an INDIRECT statement into my regular formula and this should solve the problem.

Is that correct?

Upvote 0
Re: Custom Function?:moving between tabs based on a named ra

Figured it out after some board searching. The INDIRECT funciton does indeed work. I can combine the whole offset/indirect/index/match. It's an ugly formula, but it works.

I am not worthy of myself.... :pray: :pray:

Upvote 0
Hey! Great to see you solved this on your own! :biggrin:

Take care.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back