Custom header and footer problem

crane119

Hello,

I am trying to find a way to insert a custom header and footer that I have to use for all company documents into excel. The current options under the header and footer tools in excel do not achieve this. The header and footer I am using has 3 and 8 fields consecutively, contains a logo, borders, filepath etc, dates, revisions, pages, etc. Does anyone know of anyway to create a truly custom header and footer in excel? I apprciate any help, thanks!!

Joel

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Are your intentions to add this to every file that you have currently? If it is meant for new files, I would suggest making it once and using the blank file as a template.

Upvote 0
Yes, I would use it constantly. I would like to set up a template as you suggest, but I haven't figured out how to actually insert the header and footer I use in word into excel so that it looks and functions the same.

Upvote 0
give a complete description or an image of what it should look like.
what you cannot achieve with the builtin header and footer functions?

Upvote 0
Well I have 3 options for you. Hope one of them will suit your needs.

1. You can go to "Insert" and click "Header & Footer" and set it up the way you would like. Once you are satisfied, just save the file as a template and open it up whenever you need a document with them. Just be sure to save it as a different file not to overwrite your template. A back-up template is a practise I use often here at the office, because everyone seems to just save over the original.

2. I have in the past created headers and footers by simply entering the information in the cells as well as any images you would want to use. The benefit of this is that you can easily change any information if necessary; however, you do run the risk of deleting some information as well, so I would still go with the first option.

3. One last thing I would consider doing is screen capping the header and footer of your choosing from Word and simply adding them as images into your sheet. If you are not used to using images, I wouldn't recommend it however.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Markis,

I would like to follow option 1--is there a way to put borders around the header and footer?

Bobsan42,

I can't attach a picture of the header and footer, or a file, I will try and come up with something though, thanks,

Upvote 0
i think in Exccel 2007 you can put borders but not sure right now - will check later.

for the header is easier - use PageSetup - Rows to repeat at top

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Header: 3 columns, 2 rows-- 1st row has company logo: Title: Doc ID:
2nd row-- Program Name, emtpy space for title, empty space for doc ID

Footer:

6 columns, 2 rows-- 1st row: date of issue, supercedes date, originator, quality standard, page # of #, all bordered. 2nd row: Reason for Revision--empty reply box

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back