Custom Headers Dependent on Data Validated Selection

Marmit424

Board Regular
Hi The Internet!

Currently, I have a table with many different headers. The user selects an item in the first column at which time only 3-5 of the headers are useful depending on the selected item.
Simplified Ex:
Selection InteractionSelect WebsiteHeader 2
Interaction - Open a WebsiteUser Needs to Input Something HereUser doesn't care about this

<tbody>
</tbody>

Ideally, I would limit their visibility to just the needed headers. I have tried:
1)Creating a table with a new line of headers for each row and then pulling this in with a modified index/match function, however this introduces mass complexity as there are equations which reside in many columns which then must be listed as text and run through a VBA function to evaluate the text as a function which will become messy as soon as the text reference changes (i.e. the text formula lists E3 but then a new column is inserted and E3 becomes F3 but my text will still say E3. There is even more complexity there but needless to say it lacks efficiency.
2)A vba function that hides columns based on the selected row, however this clears the undo stack each time. If it was just me messing with the worksheet that may be acceptable, but it will be used by a team and they could easily make mistakes that they'll want to undo.

Is there a better option that I'm not considering?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Bumping once. I'm sure there is a smarter way to do this I'm not considering. I cannot use Access in this case so it must be Excel. There must be a way to do this.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back