Custom Ribbon Distribution

gdesreu

I have made a custom ribbon tab and would like to distribute this to several computers. I am able to get it installed but the process seems rather ridiculous unless I am missing something. I was wondering if anyone has a good system for this.
The xlam file is no problem and neither is exporting the custom UI file and importing it. However the issue that occurs is when you export the UI file it retains the macro paths from the computer you exported it from. For example the exported UI file will show C:\_users_"username of the person who exported". When you import this UI file it still retains the exporting PCs path which means none of the macros will run. I have to search and replace the UI file with the new persons name and then import it. I suppose I can try the "all users" approach but that seems like its the same brute force approach.
Any ideas on how to make distributing this easier? This ribbon will be revised frequently as I add functionality and this seems like there is something I am missing.
Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Why are you exporting/importing the CustomUI rather than just distributing the add-in with its customisations in place?

Upvote 0
I guess that's what I was looking for. I did see this link but it seemed like more work than what I currently am doing. Then again I just skimmed that at 2am so Ill give it a try and post the results. Thanks

Upvote 0
Ok this works if you are making one from scratch, but forgive me for being stupid today but Ive already built the toolbars and have the xlam file. So I'm back to the same spot as before. How do I embed all of my current work without retaining the filepaths? The modules are already built an in place I just need to get the xml embedded without the filepaths. I can export the UI and do a search and replace and delete the filepaths then paste it into the UI editor but thats more work than what I was doing before. How do you accomplish this for xlam files that are already built?

Upvote 0
I'm afraid there is no free lunch, you''ll have to either use what you are doing now, or embed the ribbonX in the xlam. The latter avoids the path problem completely.

Upvote 0
create the addin - I don't really understand what Toolbars - the Ribbon does not display Toolbars except in the addin Tab.

You then use the CustomUi Editor to create the CustomUI for your addin - maybe use one of Ron's Templates. The RibbonX is part of the addin and is installed with it.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, I understand the issue now. I should have researched a bit more before creating the ribbons first. So I can either do what I just did which is far easier but means you need to import the UI file separately during install or I have to rebuild the ribbons in the UI editor from scratch which is probably the more appropriate thing to do. I guess I was thinking there would be some functionality already built in for simply transferring a custom ribbon that's already been built but apparently not.

Upvote 0
Well, perhaps you can copy parts of the manually customized ribbon XML to the custom UI editor?

Upvote 0
Well, perhaps you can copy parts of the manually customized ribbon XML to the custom UI editor?
Well after I saw your first comments I did try that, but it didnt accept it. Then I realized the best thing to do was simply learn it and start over from scratch and do it the correct way. As usual, the harder way is almost always the most correct route in the long run. I have it all completely rebuilt now and functioning just fine. Plus now that I see how the UI editor works it makes changes and redistribution of these custom tabs a breeze.
Thanks again, sorry for my earlier frustration.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpierce

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back