Custom Text to Column

jbesclapez

Hello,

I am using the function text to columns but the main limitation for me is that the limiter is too "simple". For example it can only do limiters with double characters or more...
I am sure that some of you already got a solution for that. Could you please share it?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
I am not exactly sure what you mean by " it can only do limiters with double characters or more...". If your problem is you want to use more than two delimiters that are not in the checkbox items, then simply use Excel's Replace functionality to replace non-listed delimiters with listed ones, then use Text To Columns on the resulting text.

Upvote 0
I am not exactly sure what you mean by " it can only do limiters with double characters or more...". If your problem is you want to use more than two delimiters that are not in the checkbox items, then simply use Excel's Replace functionality to replace non-listed delimiters with listed ones, then use Text To Columns on the resulting text.

Clever. Thanks Rick!

Upvote 0
An alternative is to use Power Query/Get and Transform found on the Data Tab. It allow you to use more than one delimiter to split a column. If you wish to see how this works, then supply a sample of 5-8 records using XL2BB.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back