Custom transposing of a column into rows using VBA recursion

PC_Meister

Board Regular
Hello,

I have been scratching my head over this for a while but i can't seem to find the answer maybe because I have not done any recursive functions in a very long time :(. I have the following columns.

BeginShape1
EndShape2
BeginShape1
EndShape3
BeginShape2
EndShape4
BeginShape4
EndShape6
BeginShape3
EndShape5
BeginShape5
EndShape7
BeginShape5
EndShape8

<tbody>
</tbody>

I am trying to write a recursive subroutine that will generate the unique sequences showing the connectivity of the sequences, so for example for the case shown above we will get 3 sequences:

Shape1Shape2Shape4Shape6
Shape1Shape3Shape5Shape7
Shape1Shape3Shape5Shape8

<tbody>
</tbody>

A few observations I have noted:

• the number of unique sequences is equal to the number of shapes that occur only once in the column(Shape6, Shape7, Shape8 in this case). These will be the terminating shapes for a sequence
  • Each sequence will always start by the shape in the first row (Shape1 in this case)

I was able to find a solution to this particular problem using nested loops but given that the length of the sequence of shapes is not constant, recursion appear as the most viable way. Any pointers will be great. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Is this the only list? You say there could be more... Could they form a loop - what would your result show if there is a loop in the sequence? (for example, if 1 to 2, 2 to 4, 4 to 6, 6 to 1)

Upvote 0
I notice that only your top level (Shape 1) has multiple children.
What kind of output do you want if a child has multiple children, for example if Shape 3 had another child, Shape 77, in addition to the current child, Shape 5.

I would use a logic like

Given a parent/child pair (e.g. Shape3/Shape5)
Use Find to find all cells that have the parent in them. (If no such exist, then add the P/C to column 1)
Write the child in the cell to .Find.Offset(0,1)

repeat for all parent/children pairs

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is this the only list? You say there could be more... Could they form a loop - what would your result show if there is a loop in the sequence? (for example, if 1 to 2, 2 to 4, 4 to 6, 6 to 1)

No a loop (closed circuit) is not possible, all the sequence are linear.

I notice that only your top level (Shape 1) has multiple children.
What kind of output do you want if a child has multiple children, for example if Shape 3 had another child, Shape 77, in addition to the current child, Shape 5.

I would use a logic like

Given a parent/child pair (e.g. Shape3/Shape5)
Use Find to find all cells that have the parent in them. (If no such exist, then add the P/C to column 1)
Write the child in the cell to .Find.Offset(0,1)

repeat for all parent/children pairs

We would just follow the linear sequence. So suppose Shape77 has two children Shape88 and Shape99. The sequences would be
Shape1, Shape3, Shape77, Shape88
Shape1, Shape3, Shape77, Shape99

Not entirely sure I follow your logic about the parent/child pair. Can you please elaborate a little more? Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonilla0331

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back