Custom View: Header resets

rosalgarcia

I'm using Excel 2010 and recently learned about custom views. Yay!

I created custom views for a report I update monthly. One version is for "The Big Boss", the other version is for me. Difference is my report has a couple columns for my random notes and the page orientation is wider to accommodate the extra columns.

When I set up the custom view, the header was "Big Important Report, July 2016, as of 7/1/2016" Now any time I activate a custom view, the header reverts to what it was when I created the custom view, even after I've changed the month and date (or anything else) in the header.

1) If the header is reverting to what it was X number of days ago when I created the custom view, are any other changes I've made to the rest of the document??! I've done comparisons and it doesn't seem to be losing all my changes but I'm curious what other people's experiences have been.
2) Is this the known and expected behavior of header/footer within the 'custom view' function?
3) Is there a workaround? I've looked at using formulas in the header to make it easier to change the date info in the header, but it appears I have to use VB, which I'd love to avoid.
4) Please someone recreate this issue for me -- I have Googled this but can't find anything specifically about the way headers revert to their old version anywhere!

I was so happy to find custom views since I have to print out 2 versions of a multi-tabbed, multi-paged report and it just got too frustrating. Then I was asked in the middle of a meeting why we were looking at data from the previous month... Gack! :mad: I've been just winging it the last couple months but the time it takes has frustrated me again to look for a solution.

Please and thanks for any help!!

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
It does appear that header information is part of a custom view. I just tested it.

You can add the date using "&[Date]" but it will always show today.

If you want a static date (not today) I would recommend not putting the date in the header. You could have the title in the header and move the date to a cell.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back