Custome Excel Graph

dee123

Hi,
I am trying to graph some data using a line graph that shows trends over 4 different categories by month(for 12 months of the year). I also want the graph to show full year totals for each of the 4 categories in a box superimposed at the top right hand-corner of the graph. How do I do this?
Thanks.

Layout:
_________ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Current Yr___x x x x x x x x x x x x
Prior Yr _____x x x x x x x x x x x x
Budget_____ x x x x x x x x x x x x
Estimate ____x x x x x x x x x x x x

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.

tusharm

MrExcel MVP
If Andrew's suggestion works for you great. But, I cannot make it work as a linked image.

An alternative that would insert one total at a time is to simply select the chart, type = and click one cell. XL will insert a link to that cell as a textbox in the chart. Move that textbox and format it as desired. Repeat for the other elements.

Andrew Poulsom

MrExcel MVP
tusharm said:
If Andrew's suggestion works for you great. But, I cannot make it work as a linked image.

Do you mean Excel wouldn't let you enter the formula if the chart is on a worksheet?

To make it a linked image I had to temporarily move the chart to a chart sheet, enter the formula, then move it back to the worksheet.

tusharm

MrExcel MVP
Yeah, that's what I meant but didn't spell out. And, yes I could make it work if the chart is on a sheet by itself.

For the longest time I've used one of XL's least known and yet super-duper tools -- the Camera tool. It works wonders in creating linked images. Your technique is worth remembering since with every new release of XL I expect the Camera tool to disappear.

Andrew Poulsom said:
tusharm said:

Do you mean Excel wouldn't let you enter the formula if the chart is on a worksheet?

To make it a linked image I had to temporarily move the chart to a chart sheet, enter the formula, then move it back to the worksheet.

dee123

Re: Custom Excel Graph

Thanks Andrew! It worked...

I followed Andrew's instructions and it worked. The only additional thing I did, when entering the formula in the formula bar, instead of Sheet1!A1:B4, I typed 'Sheet1'!A1:B4 i.e with the quotes.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaeremata