Custome Excel Graph

dee123

Hi,
I am trying to graph some data using a line graph that shows trends over 4 different categories by month(for 12 months of the year). I also want the graph to show full year totals for each of the 4 categories in a box superimposed at the top right hand-corner of the graph. How do I do this?
Thanks.

Layout:
_________ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Current Yr___x x x x x x x x x x x x
Prior Yr _____x x x x x x x x x x x x
Budget_____ x x x x x x x x x x x x
Estimate ____x x x x x x x x x x x x

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
If Andrew's suggestion works for you great. But, I cannot make it work as a linked image.

An alternative that would insert one total at a time is to simply select the chart, type = and click one cell. XL will insert a link to that cell as a textbox in the chart. Move that textbox and format it as desired. Repeat for the other elements.

Upvote 0
tusharm said:
If Andrew's suggestion works for you great. But, I cannot make it work as a linked image.

Do you mean Excel wouldn't let you enter the formula if the chart is on a worksheet?

To make it a linked image I had to temporarily move the chart to a chart sheet, enter the formula, then move it back to the worksheet.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's what I meant but didn't spell out. And, yes I could make it work if the chart is on a sheet by itself.

For the longest time I've used one of XL's least known and yet super-duper tools -- the Camera tool. It works wonders in creating linked images. Your technique is worth remembering since with every new release of XL I expect the Camera tool to disappear.

Andrew Poulsom said:
tusharm said:

Do you mean Excel wouldn't let you enter the formula if the chart is on a worksheet?

To make it a linked image I had to temporarily move the chart to a chart sheet, enter the formula, then move it back to the worksheet.

Upvote 0
Re: Custom Excel Graph

Thanks Andrew! It worked...

I followed Andrew's instructions and it worked. The only additional thing I did, when entering the formula in the formula bar, instead of Sheet1!A1:B4, I typed 'Sheet1'!A1:B4 i.e with the quotes.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back