Customer Column not subtracting where the value is null in Power Query

DMfba

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Everyone,
I am running into an issue subtracting one field from another field when one field is equal to null. If there is a better way to do this please give me some insight.

I am dealing with Year to date sales & profit values on a monthly basis. The goal is to determine the monthly sales and profit figures. To do this I created a custom column to subtract the Current Month Year to Date values from the Previous Year to Date values from last month. I added some conditions to take into account subtracting positive and negative values. All of which seems to be working. However, whenever I run into a case where there is a value in the Current Month but null in Last month it doesn't calculate a value. For example, If Feb has $10 and Jan was null, the MTD value should be positive $10 but Power Query is showing the MTD as blank.

Below is the "M" code for the custom column that I made.

Power Query:
try if [YTD Profit] > 0 and [PM_YTDProfit] > 0 then [YTD Profit]-[PM_YTDProfit]
else if [YTD Profit] > 0 and [PM_YTDProfit] < 0 then [YTD Profit]- Number.Abs[PM_YTDProfit]
else if [YTD Profit] < 0 and [PM_YTDProfit] > 0 then [YTD Profit]+ [PM_YTDProfit]
else if [PM_YTDProfit] = "null" then [YTD Profit]
else [YTD Profit] - [PM_YTDProfit] 
otherwise [YTD Profit]-[PM_YTDProfit]

I did try switching null to "null" both ways did not make a difference.

If any one has any suggestions, please let me know where I went wrong.

Thank You everyone.
David

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Hi Everyone,
I am running into an issue subtracting one field from another field when one field is equal to null. If there is a better way to do this please give me some insight.

I am dealing with Year to date sales & profit values on a monthly basis. The goal is to determine the monthly sales and profit figures. To do this I created a custom column to subtract the Current Month Year to Date values from the Previous Year to Date values from last month. I added some conditions to take into account subtracting positive and negative values. All of which seems to be working. However, whenever I run into a case where there is a value in the Current Month but null in Last month it doesn't calculate a value. For example, If Feb has $10 and Jan was null, the MTD value should be positive $10 but Power Query is showing the MTD as blank.

Below is the "M" code for the custom column that I made.

Power Query:
try if [YTD Profit] > 0 and [PM_YTDProfit] > 0 then [YTD Profit]-[PM_YTDProfit]
else if [YTD Profit] > 0 and [PM_YTDProfit] < 0 then [YTD Profit]- Number.Abs[PM_YTDProfit]
else if [YTD Profit] < 0 and [PM_YTDProfit] > 0 then [YTD Profit]+ [PM_YTDProfit]
else if [PM_YTDProfit] = "null" then [YTD Profit]
otherwise [YTD Profit]-[PM_YTDProfit]

I did try switching null to "null" both ways did not make a difference.

If any one has any suggestions, please let me know where I went wrong.

Thank You everyone.
David
Hi,

You mentioned that MTD is blank, try replace blank with null.

Power Query:
if [YTD Profit] > 0 and [PM_YTDProfit] > 0 then [YTD Profit]-[PM_YTDProfit]
else if [PM_YTDProfit] = null then [YTD Profit]

Upvote 0
Have you tried Transform> Replace Values (select the columns with null) "null" to 0 before you add a custom column. Or maybe after passing on a custom column?

Upvote 0
Have you tried Transform> Replace Values (select the columns with null) "null" to 0 before you add a custom column. Or maybe after passing on a custom column?
Hi,

If you have replaced null with 0 then additional column should be like below

Power Query:
if [YTD Profit] > 0 and [PM_YTDProfit] > 0 then [YTD Profit]-[PM_YTDProfit]
else if [PM_YTDProfit] = 0 then [YTD Profit]

Can you please upload some sample data?

Upvote 0
Hi

I think you are trying to calculate current month profit. If that is the case why don't you use simple calculation [YTD Profit] - (minus) [PM_YTDProfit]. It will give same result as in conditional column you are tying to create.

Try following with conditional column.

Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Product", type text}, {"YTD Profit", Int64.Type}, {"PM_YTDProfit", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type",null,0,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"PM_YTDProfit"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Replaced Value", "Current month profit", each if [YTD Profit] > 0 and [PM_YTDProfit] > 0 then [YTD Profit]-[PM_YTDProfit]
else if [YTD Profit] > 0 and [PM_YTDProfit] < 0 then [YTD Profit]+ Number.Abs([PM_YTDProfit])
else if [YTD Profit] < 0 and [PM_YTDProfit] > 0 then [YTD Profit]- [PM_YTDProfit]
else if [PM_YTDProfit] = 0  then [YTD Profit]
else [YTD Profit] - [PM_YTDProfit]),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom",{{"Current month profit", type number}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Product", type text}, {"YTD Profit", type number}, {"PM_YTDProfit", type number}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type",null,0,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"PM_YTDProfit"}),
    #"Inserted Subtraction" = Table.AddColumn(#"Replaced Value", "Current month profit", each [YTD Profit] - [PM_YTDProfit], type number)
in
    #"Inserted Subtraction"

Upvote 0
Hi I can't Read & Arunsjain,

Yes I did do a transformation to convert the blanks. The transformation I used was to replace Null to Zero. My goal was try to get the M code of :

if [PM_YTDProfit] = null then [YTD Profit]

However, I think it just may not be possible. Power Query, I think sees this as text and can't convert to a number when it's one column minus the other. The reason behind it, blank and 0 mean two different things in my data set. As far as value goes, I did need them to both be treated as a zero. Unfortunately, I won't be able to point out that difference in meaning.

Thank You,

David

Upvote 0
Hi I can't Read & Arunsjain,

Yes I did do a transformation to convert the blanks. The transformation I used was to replace Null to Zero. My goal was try to get the M code of :

if [PM_YTDProfit] = null then [YTD Profit]

However, I think it just may not be possible. Power Query, I think sees this as text and can't convert to a number when it's one column minus the other. The reason behind it, blank and 0 mean two different things in my data set. As far as value goes, I did need them to both be treated as a zero. Unfortunately, I won't be able to point out that difference in meaning.

Thank You,

David
Hi,

Try following without replacing null with ZERO. I hope it will work.

Power Query:
if [PM_YTDProfit] = null then [YTD Profit] else if [YTD Profit] > 0 and [PM_YTDProfit] > 0 then [YTD Profit]-[PM_YTDProfit]
else if [YTD Profit] > 0 and [PM_YTDProfit] < 0 then [YTD Profit]+ Number.Abs([PM_YTDProfit])
else if [YTD Profit] < 0 and [PM_YTDProfit] > 0 then [YTD Profit]- [PM_YTDProfit]

Upvote 0
Hi Arunsjain,

I haven't tried that one and going in a different direction. That does sound like that way would work because there is no math portion in that 1st statement. Therefore, PQ won't run into the error of subtracting a number from text.

Thank you again for the help.
David

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back