Customer format millions and thousands

Access Beginner

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

I have cells, where the value can can vary from the millions to the tens of thousands.

Do you know of any custome format options, if the value is say 5,100,000 we can show this as 5.1M and if the value is say 320,500 we can show it as 320.5T.

Values are in a dynamic chart, so a user can select a region and the values update, for that particular region. The issue is where some regions can go into the millions, where others will only go into the hundreds of thousand and possibly tens of thousands

These values go into a dynamic chart and showing the value as 5,000,000 is taking up too much real estate. If all the values were in the million, this would not be a problem and I could use s aimpel customer format, however when the values vary as mentioned above, I'm stumped.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Cheers

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
You could use Conditional Formatting with the Custom formats of [#,##0 ] for numbers less than 1,000 (note spaces after the last zero to maintain alignment. [#, "k"] for Thousands and [#,, "m"] for Millions excluding the square brackets.

HOLD on that - need to check something

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try again as my last formats did not allow for decimal places eg 5.1 m

Use Conditional Formatting with the Custom formats of [#,##0 ] for numbers less than 1,000 (note you can use spaces after the last zero to maintain alignment if deemed necessary. [#.00, "k"] for Thousands and [#.00,, "m"] for Millions excluding the square brackets.

These options round the reduced number to 2 decimal places. You could use #.0,, "m" if only 1 decimal place required or #.###,, "m" to allow flexible decimals.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is there a way to do the opposite? For instance, if I have data as 1.5K, but I want it to read 1,500.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't think custom cell formatting can convert text to numbers, so, for your example of 1.5K, you can use:

Excel 2010
AB
11.5K1,500.00
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)*1000

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back