Customize "paste" operation to paste only Values (without format from copied data)

xlsat

Hello,

For one my workbooks, I have a requirement where, I want to modify the regular "paste" operation in such a way that it acts as "Paste Special->Values". The context is that - In the worksheets, I have several conditional formats being used which are different in different columns, and I want to avoid formatting getting messed up when a copy paste is done across columns or a copy is done from a different workbook. But, I want to let the user to copy the basic data because, otherwise it would be inconvenient in situations like, when a whole list needs to be copied from another source file into this workbook.

So, is there a way to modify the paste operation as long as I am on that workbook (being done through the mouse of key-board) to actually act as "Paste Special->Values" automatically?

In my search till now, I haven't come across an event like "BeforePaste" to handle such a thing. I am hoping there are other ways to do this!

[It is the regular copy-paste that the user usually uses and messes up (unknowingly) the format, hence this requirement. I want to still retain "Paste Special" since, if the user wants to copy-paste along with the format intentionally, he/she can always select "Paste Special->All". ]

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
This maybe what you require.
If you have excel 2007 you can do this ~
Right click on the quick access toolbar, click customize quick access toolbar, click all commands, scroll down till you get to the paste section, select Paste Values, click the add button, click ok.
Now on your quick access toolbar will be a little green ball, any time you wish to paste values only, click that.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Hello asking,

Thank you for the idea. This can work well if I am the only user (hoping that I would be disciplined to use the button always), but what I also want is - whenever, any of the users work on that workbook, the "usual paste operation" should result in "pasting only values". So, I would need a way of overriding the Excel's default paste behavior with customized behavior! Do you think it might be possible?

Upvote 0
No, I don't think an override is possible but I am not a excel guru. It may be possible but I don't know of a way.

Cheers.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back