Cut row to new sheet if text is found within multiple columns

Mike___

I found out the problem.

The data in columns AE:AM contains various keywords but after the majority of them it contains a semi colon and a number eg Science;13 or Team Building;9.

When I tested your code with the semi colon and number removed it worked. As soon as I added it back it didn't.

I looked to attach a sample doc for you to test but I do not have the appropriate permissions. Apologies.

Peter_SSs

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
I looked to attach a sample doc for you to test but I do not have the appropriate permissions. Apologies.
It isn't a matter of permissions as the forum does not allow attachments. However, you can post small screen shots of your worksheet(s). Follow the 'Look here' link in my signature block below to find out how.

Mike___

KeywordKeyword 2Keyword 3Keyword 4Keyword 5Keyword 6Keyword 7Keyword 8Keyword 9
Biomedical research;1Medical genetics;1R scripting;1Unix scripting;1NGS-tools;2Next-generation sequencing;2Bioinformatics;3Genomics;3Molecular Diagnostics;9
Cell Culture;1Chromatography;1HPLC;1Lifesciences;1Biotechnology;2GLP;3PCR;3Molecular Biology;7Microbiology;9
DNA electrophoresis;3DNA sequencing;3PCR primer design;3DNA extraction;4Genotyping;4PCR;4Sequencing;4Western Blotting;5Genomics;6
Diagnostics;2Life Sciences;2qPCR;2Biotechnology;3Cell Culture;3Research;3Genetics;4Biochemistry;5Molecular Biology;5
Biotechnology;1Cell Culture;1Clinical Research;1Immunoassays;1Infectious Diseases;1Lifesciences;1Microbiology;1Molecular Biology;1PCR;1
Infectious Diseases;4Medical Devices;5Sequencing;7Pharmaceutical Industry;8qPCR;9Genomics;14Lifesciences;14Biotechnology;35Molecular Biology;45
Biochemistry;1Durum Wheat;1MicroRNA Profiling;1Molecular Biology;1Next-generation Sequencing;1Plant Physiology;1Scientific Writing;1
DNA sequencing;1Epigenetics;1Lifesciences;1Prostate Cancer;1qPCR;2Genomics;5Research;7Genetics;16Molecular Biology;19
CMV;1HPV;1Herpes;1Instagram;1NCBI;1iPhone;1iPhoto;1Multiplex PCR;3PCR;9
Genomics;1Lifesciences;1Lecturing;3Proteomics;4RT-PCR;5Clinical Research;7PCR;8Molecular Biology;15Cell Culture;21
Blood Bank;1Hormones;1Nanoparticles;1PLGA;1Serology;1Laboratory Skills;3Biochemistry;4Microbiology;4Laboratory Medicine;12
Agriculture;1Biotechnology;1GMP;1Lifesciences;1Molecular Biology;1PCR;1R&D;1Six Sigma;1Validation;1
qPCR;13Flow Cytometry;16PCR;27Cell Biology;46Biochemistry;48Molecular Cloning;56Cell Culture;59Western Blotting;74Molecular Biology;93

<colgroup><col width="72" span="9" style="width:54pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Peter_SSs

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Thanks for the sample data.
:oops: Oops, big mistake on my part, sorry about that. I had two arguments in the Instr function the wrong way around. It should be
Rich (BB code):
If InStr(1, a(i, j), strToFind, 1) > 0 Then

Mike___

Thanks for your help with this - it now copies across perfectly.

There is one last remaining issue that doesn't quite work as requested. Each time I run a new search it wipes over what has previously been found rather than adding to the sheet 2 results.

Apologies for taking up your time on this - but it is much appreciated.

Peter_SSs

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
I had assumed that we could tell the last row used in Sheet2 by looking for the bottom of column A. Apparently that is not the case. Try changing this line.

Rich (BB code):
With ws2
  lr = .Cells.Find(What:="*", After:=.Cells(1, 1), LookIn:=xlValues, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
          SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, SearchFormat:=False).Row
End With

Mike___

Hmmm I am afraid we are back to nothing copying across again?

Rick Rothstein

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Assuming you specify the unique beginning text, at minimum, for the keyword you want to search for (for example, "Cell C" for "Cell Culture" would be sufficient although you can type more letters of the keyword if you wish), then does this macro work for you...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]Sub Copy_Rows_v2()
  Dim LastRow1 As Long, LastRow2 As Long, strToFind As String
  LastRow1 = Sheets("[B][COLOR="#0000FF"]Sheet1[/COLOR][/B]").Cells.Find("*", , xlValues, , xlRows, xlPrevious).Row
  LastRow2 = Sheets("[B][COLOR="#FF0000"]Sheet2[/COLOR][/B]").Cells.Find("*", , xlValues, , xlRows, xlPrevious).Row
  strToFind = InputBox("Enter Keyword to be found")
  With Sheets("[B][COLOR="#0000FF"]Sheet1[/COLOR][/B]").Range("AN2:AN" & LastRow1)
    .Formula = "=MATCH(""" & strToFind & "*"",[B][COLOR="#0000FF"]Sheet1[/COLOR][/B]!AE2:AM2,0)"
    On Error Resume Next
    Intersect(Sheets("[B][COLOR="#0000FF"]Sheet1[/COLOR][/B]").Columns("AE:AM"), .SpecialCells(xlFormulas, xlNumbers).EntireRow).Copy Sheets("[B][COLOR="#FF0000"]Sheet2[/COLOR][/B]").Cells(LastRow2 + 1, "A")
    On Error GoTo 0
  End With
  Sheets("[B][COLOR="#0000FF"]Sheet1[/COLOR][/B]").Columns("AN").Clear
End Sub[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Last edited:

Mike___

Hi Rick,

This copies across the results to columns A to I in sheet 2 rather than to AE to AM.
I need the entire row copied across if keyword is found as there is data in the other columns that needs to move across too.

Peter_SSs

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Hmmm I am afraid we are back to nothing copying across again?
The only effect of the change in post 16 is to determine what row to paste the data in Sheet2, not what is copied.

Are you sure that you still have the changed line from post 14 & didn't revert to the old version of that code line?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoHio2577

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• VBA (Userform)
    Hi All, I just would like to know why my code isn't working. Here is my VBA code: [CODE=vba]Private Sub OKButton_Click() Dim i As Integer...
  • List box that changes fill color
    Hello, I have gone through so many pages trying to figure this out. I have a 2020 calendar that depending on the day needs to have a certain...
  • Remove duplicates and retain one. Cross-linked cases
    Hi all I ran out of google keywords to use and still couldn't find a reference how to achieve the results of a single count. It would be great if...
  • VBA Copy and Paste With Duplicates
    Hello All, I'm in need of some input. My VBA skills are sub-par at best. I've assembled this code from basic research and it works but is...
  • Macro
    is it possible for a macro to run if the active cell value is different to the value above it
  • IF DATE and TIME
    I currently use this to check if date has passed but i also need to set a time on it too. Is it possible? [CODE=vba]=IF(B:B>TODAY(),"Not...