Cycling through precedents

QuoUsqueTandem

Hi all,

At my previous employer we had a tool/shortcut that allowed us to click on a cell containing a formula and then cycle through its precedents using shortcuts. The cycle was started off with CTRL+G (repurposed from Microsoft's default use) and then you could move to each precedent of the original formula in turn with repeated presses of CTRL+N. With each press of the 'next' shortcut, the next precedent in the cycle would be selected and the screen would navigate to it. Pressing CTRL+G while one of the precedents was selected would end the cycle and start a new one, taking the user to the first precedent of that cell.

The tool worked even where certain of the precedents were on a different worksheet within the same workbook (reading through the previous posts regarding precedents, that seems to be a pertinent point), although it did not unhide/expand hidden or grouped rows. To get back to the original cell of the current cycle (i.e. the one containing the formula you were interrogating) you'd just press CTRL+N until all of the precedents had been visited and the next press of the shortcut took you back to it.

The tool saved so much time that the built-in precedent tool barely got used. I'm really missing it in my new role and wonder if anyone knows of a tool or has some code that does what I've described. If not, I'd like to cobble together an imitation so any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
QUT

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Thanks for getting back to me - I had found that product but its tracing isn’t suitable for our purposes. We use the tracing tool to interrogate models that have been produced by other people for legal cases so they’re frequently messy or poorly built. The precedents tend to be scattered all over the place in illogical places so we really need to be taken to them by the tool, rather than just having a preview of their location.

Upvote 0
Thanks - that looks like the closest to what I wanted to reproduce. A bit too much interface but the functionality seems to be what I'm looking for.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back