Dancing Ants Don't Dance and Dialog Boxes Don't Appear

mgirvin

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Dear Team,

I am running Microsoft 365 Excel, (Version 2207 Build 16.0.15402.20000) 64-bit.

When I am in Formula Edit Mode (Enter Mode in Status Bar) and I select a range of cells, the dancing ants do not dance (selected range outside edge movement is also called marching ants). Also, when I use spell check (F7), if there are no spelling errors, no dialog box pops up. If there are spelling errors, the dialog box appears and let's me make corrections, but when the spell check is done, the dialog box disappears without giving a message that there are no more errors. Other dialog boxes will also disappear when the task is done without a message that the task is complete. It is as if all non-essential actions are truncated and are not performed to save time or something. In the ease of use section of the Windows Control panel I have verified that the "Turn off all unnecessary animations (when possible)" is unchecked. I have turned on and off my computer. I have hunted for answers on-line.

This has been going on for days. It seems like I am just missing a check box somewhere. Any idea what is going on?

Sincerely, Mike Girvin

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
When I am in Formula Edit Mode (Enter Mode in Status Bar) and I select a range of cells, the dancing ants do not dance (selected range outside edge movement is also called marching ants).
What do you see? Are you saying that you see a dotted line but there is no "marching" animation? That is what I see in 365. Or are you saying there is no dotted line?

Also, when I use spell check (F7), if there are no spelling errors, no dialog box pops up.
I get this but I don't know if any setting that will turn it on or off. I am unaware of any setting or VBA code that could affect this;
goodtogo.jpg

What add-ins do you have installed?

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting back, Jeff!

1) While making a formula and selecting a range of cells, I get a solid line with no movement. This solid line is exactly like the line around a reference when you put the cell in edit mode after the formula has already been entered into cell previously.

2) The dialog box you show that reads "Spell check complete. You're good to go!" is exactly the one that does not appear in Excel.

3) The add-ins I have are: Analysis Toolpak, Analysis Toolpak VBA, Solver add-in, DAX Studio, Inquire, MS Data Stream for Excel, MS Power Pivot for Excel and MS Power View for Excel.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the prompt, Jeff. One-by-one, I removed each add-in until I found the offending add-in: Microsoft Data Streamer for Excel. What a terrible add-in.

Thanks for helping me to resolve this issue, Jeff : )

Upvote 0
I would have checked add-ins but I have no idea what that particular one does :) Glad you resolved your issue.

Upvote 0
I am running Microsoft 365 Excel,
Hi Mike,
Haven't seen you around here much in recent times. :)

In the new software version you can enter that in your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

1654929133537.png

Upvote 0
Peter_SSs,

It is great to hear from you : ) You have helped me many times throughout the decades.

Thanks for the account info. I have updated my account.

Sincerely, Mike Girvin

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raviguru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back