Data Collection Form

Marc Enzi

Board Regular
I have lots of clients who do not have excel, and I need to gather client data, most of the data is numerical or 3 letter codes.

What is is the simplest most straightforward method of solving this problem.

I was thinking to print the excel page to a PDF and make it into a fillable form, that the client completes and emails me back the pdf and then I somehow pull the data back into excel.
(I hope there is an easier way)

Is there any kind of an excel viewer utility that might also allow populating fields in an excel spreadsheet? I don't need it to calculate anything at the clients end.

Thanks.

Marc Enzi

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Marc:

Microsoft does make a viewer, but it is just that, a viewer only.

Several months back a poster came inquiring about alternatives & I recommended several free-bees. I can't find that post right now, but if you check cnet's download.com for free spreadsheets, I think you'll find what you are looking for.

Another over-simplified solution:
If the codes they are entering aren't that many, you can have your clients enter them into text files. Fields (columns) are separated by commas and records (rows) are separated by carriage returns. Have the clients save the files as CSV files and you will be able to open them directly in Excel.

addendum:
http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=171458

Upvote 0
Thanks for the information.

I'll look into some freebies, and puchase the one that works the best.

Does anyone here have any experience using a PDF fillable form that exports to excel?

What if I ty saving the excel form as an HTML file, could clients then fill it out, save it and email it to me? he problem is this will be a multi page workbook (one for each month, and additional expense sheets)

Any experience or advice is appreciated.

Upvote 0
Marc:

Exporting to html will not work for your client because, as you've already noted, they have no means of importing the file into something else and editing it.

I can't answer the PDF question. But have you tried it? It seems that would be the simplest thing to do--Intead of being held up waiting for a reply, at least try it first.

For your safety, remove your email address from the postings. There are data miners that find these things and the next thing you know you are subject of a bohemoth of junk emailings.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juliecooper255

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back