data connections refreshing after enabling content

smiler

Board Regular
HI,

i have a workbook with 5 external connections that load data as connection only directly to the data model. I need to ensure that when this workbook is shared with users, when they open the workbook no data connection updating occurs. Currently the workbook opens, the first change to any slicers produces 'loading data model' then everything works fine, the problem comes when anyone clicks the 'enable content' warning, as soon as this is clicked the data connections all attempt a refresh and this takes 40 minutes to complete (excel files stored on sharepoint which has a slow access connection) - i dont need the connections to update the data saved in the model should be used until i choose to refresh the data.

i have checked all refresh settings and cannot see where i can completely disable external connections so any user opening this workbook will never see this 40 minute delay

thanks

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
I can’t add / use macros as most users wouldn’t enable them when opened. I did actually find the problem today, I thought I had disabled update on open on all 45 pivots, but I missed one, Ensuring all pivots were set not to update on opening did the trick. I found the culprit by running a script to list all pivots, their location, and refresh on open setting, and there it was

thanks for your reply

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohitsomani

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back