Data Dictionary Best Practices

Jzaik

This is probably something simple but I just wanted to know all my available options.

I own and maintain a data dictionary that I keep on Excel. There are around 12 columns, all with headers. The columns are meant to identify all the attributes of a particular data element. Each row is a specific data element and there are probably around 2400 rows (elements) as of right now. But that number will continue to grow.

It's a JSON/XML data dictionary so the columns are describing the JSON short name, JSON long name, min/max character length, multiplicity, a description field, etc.

I make changes and updates to the dictionary every 10 days and publish it to external teams. The external teams are using the data dictionary to configure their API mapping.

I'm looking for a solution on how to maintain my master copy of the data dictionary, but allow the external teams to 'select' rows of the data elements and use them continually. The problem is that when I make updates and changes, it forces the external teams to redo their mapping because the rows are out of sync.

I'm open for any solution that would make this process more efficient. I'm not familiar with Power Query, but I'm open to that. I'm also open to using MS Access as the source database. If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts, please let me know. Thanks.

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back