Data extract using one column as key

Status
Not open for further replies.

moneycash

I wrote another post, but didn't get a detailed step by step answer and need it asap. So really would appreciate some advice here!

I have about 2500 records of different/random 15 digit numbers in each row in one sheet in column A

On another sheet, I have 1mm records that have information in column A-N and the sheet has many more 15 digit numbers in column D of this sheet.

I need a way to search the 1mm records in Column D, to see which records match any of the 15 digit numbers in column A of the first sheet. The ones that match, I need to extract the whole record from A-N into or copy over to a third sheet.

The end result would be that I pulled out any record that had a match in Sheet 1.

Can you please provide step by step instructions for this! Would really appreciate the help, I have tried to watch videos, but nothing seems to match what I am needing.

I looked at the instructions for MS Excel: VLOOKUP Function (WS) and it is a bit complicated for me, as i am newbie to excel or somewhat anyway. Can you put step by step or edit below of what I can make out from the above vlookup deal.

Step 1) I would copy and paste the 2500 15 digit numbers in column A (moving the other records in the 1mm over one space to begin in column B)
Step 2) Or Where do I put the 1mm records so this can work? Do I paste them in column B thru O of sheet next to column A as stated in step 1 above?
Step 3) I need a column to populate the results or extract the data to, so do I put that in column P?

Maybe a sample sheet that has the code would help, not sure? Thanks in advance to anyone that can help guide! Mike

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
OK, if you are having trouble with VLOOKUP(which is the best option IMO), I will suggest an alternative quick and dirty approach that will work too.

On your sheet with your A-N data add another formula in column O

O2 =COUNTIF(Sheet1!A:A,D2) and copy down for the whole column ** The red section refers to the name of your specific sheet where your 2500 records are located.

Then you can filter by column O for anything that returns a value that is not zero. Then select the filtered data and copy it to a new sheet.

Cheers, :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denissimo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back