Data Importing Wizard - Terrible Data Set - delimiter issue

spicoli1234

Hello,

I have a wonky .txt file. I have to import the data into excel and I use data import wizard. Column B and C have data in there that should be split out into different fields (ie, anothercolumnthing, trans id, anothercolumn, event-time). However, I cannot get the data to be delimited correctly, and sometimes the long string number is changed to scientific notation even though the data wizard characterized the column as text. Someone on a mac, during data import changed it to unicode 8 and started the import on row 2 and it worked. I cannot start the import from row 2. You might ask, why can't you change the original file and delete the first row. The .txt original file is a wierd cascading string and doesn't really have a set row, etc.

Any ideas?
yBBGcpF

HTML:

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Hi,

You made need to create a conversion sheet with text formulas to convert your data..is there any way to clean up the export file before you try to import?

Upvote 0
Could we see 5-10 rows of sample 'messed up' data and the corresponding 'cleaned up' results with any further explanation you can give?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lancelots

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back