Data Mining Software for use with excel

gilesgerman

I am trying to get data from a website into excel. I have been on Wikipedia and a number of software has been recommended. I am using a MacBook Pro. My question is simple which piece of software is best for use with excel?

[h=2]Software[/h]See also: Category:Data mining and machine learning software.

[h=3]Free open-source data mining software and applications[/h]The following applications are available under free/open source licenses. Public access to application source code is also available.

• Carrot2: Text and search results clustering framework.
  • Chemicalize.org: A chemical structure miner and web search engine.
  • ELKI: A university research project with advanced cluster analysis and outlier detection methods written in the Javalanguage.
  • GATE: a natural language processing and language engineering tool.
  • KNIME: The Konstanz Information Miner, a user friendly and comprehensive data analytics framework.
  • Massive Online Analysis (MOA): a real-time big data stream mining with concept drift tool in the Java programming language.
  • MEPX - cross platform tool for regression and classification problems based on a Genetic Programming variant.
  • ML-Flex: A software package that enables users to integrate with third-party machine-learning packages written in any programming language, execute classification analyses in parallel across multiple computing nodes, and produce HTML reports of classification results.
  • MLPACK library: a collection of ready-to-use machine learning algorithms written in the C++ language.
  • NLTK (Natural Language Toolkit): A suite of libraries and programs for symbolic and statistical natural language processing (NLP) for the Python language.
  • OpenNN: Open neural networks library.
  • Orange: A component-based data mining and machine learning software suite written in the Python language.
  • R: A programming language and software environment for statistical computing, data mining, and graphics. It is part of the GNU Project.
  • scikit-learn is an open source machine learning library for the Python programming language
  • Torch: An open source deep learning library for the Lua programming language and scientific computing framework with wide support for machine learning algorithms.
  • UIMA: The UIMA (Unstructured Information Management Architecture) is a component framework for analyzing unstructured content such as text, audio and video – originally developed by IBM.
  • Weka: A suite of machine learning software applications written in the Java programming language.

[h=3]Proprietary data-mining software and applications[/h]The following applications are available under proprietary licenses.

marious

Board Regular
It depends on what you are trying to do.
R is my personal preference for large data sets (over 104,576 rows) and engineer calculations.
You need to sharp your statistics skills if you want to use R.

Last edited:

Johnny C

I'd go with marious, R is free and has a large online community of help. It's used in a lot of universities to teach data mining.

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• Get External Data (long shot question!)
    This is likely a long shot but I am wondering if it is at all possible for Excel to somehow 'change' the contents of a URL that is being linked to...
  • Importing multiple excel files into one spreadsheet
    Hi, I'm trying to import multiple excel files (with the same format into a single spreadsheet) so that each day's file is listed underneath the...
  • Cell Formatting
    Good Morning, I need to format a few different cells in the following manners: A1 has to always add a colon (:) after whatever is typed in by a...
  • How to copy multiple rows using If
    Hi all, I'm very new to VBA and have written this simple code to copy certain cells if a certain cell within that row contains any data. I need...
  • Workbook_Change stopped working !
    I am working on an app to speed up & automate processing of Credit Cards statements. After data is input from a CSV file, it is presented to the...
  • VBA If statement
    Dear All, I have two dates, where I'd like a message box to pop, if the dates are between this criteria. [CODE] sDate1 = #10/1/2019#...