!! Data Model Lost Connection to Workbook !! Time Sensitive Request !!

ohnow

Normally I search a long time before posting but I have to get to a meeting and if I cannot get this answered now (4pm EST on a Friday afternoon), I cannot finish work planned for this weekend. I would DEEPLY appreciate any help! The research I've found looks like there is no solution from Microsoft yet?!

I'm new to using Data Models. I've been using a model in a workbook all week to build a report. The data connections have been lost. I've read it may be due to having multiple files open. I've had multiple files open throughout the week and did have another file open when I just lost my connection.

i'm running Office 2016 desktop. I just learned today I have 32 bit (unintentionally) on Win 10 Professional 64 bit.

I completely closed down Excel, made a copy of the workbook and tried re-establishing the connecting. In the data model, I've tried Home-Get External Data-From Other Sources-Excel. I enter the file path, test the connection and the result is successful. There is a message "The file you have chosen is in use. Please close the file before you import". If I close the workbook, the data model closes. I do not believe I can open a data model only?

I can click "Next" but, I get the same message. I cannot click "Finish". How can I re-establish the connect to the workbook I have open?

I'm new to DAX and 90% of my time this week was searching how to make the formulas I needed. Will I lose all that work now?

Thank you, in advance!!!

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
not sure on your connection

32bit on 64 is not a problem, but is limited to 3Gb size

Upvote 0
Thank you. I still cannot find a fix for the connection issue, or if a data model could be opened without opening a workbook, to then re-create a connection to the closed workbook.

Upvote 0
Hopefully this may help someone. . .

i somewhat found the fix. I did not realize, when I tried to refresh the pivot in my workbook, that I received another error about having a circular dependency on a calculated column in one of my data model tables. I learned from community.powerbi.com that BI would not allow a table to have two calculated columns with measures referencing the same table. I followed their recommendation to instead create a measure and remove the second calculated column. It resolved the connect error. However, the formula I used in the second calculated column, for which I now created a measure is not working any longer. I had a post already to get help with that calculation so I'll respond to that post separately about that.

Upvote 0
glad you have found a partial result

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back