Data organization/reporting

markb8

My knowledge of Excel is very limited, and I'm hoping for some guidance as to the best approach I need to tackle the challenge I outline below…

I have an Excel file that is full of data from a SharePoint survey that is used to get feedback from various classes. Some of the questions are ranking questions (likert scale), while others are open-ended 'essay' type questions. This survey is used regularly, so the data is constantly 'growing' as new rows are continually added.

I need to find a way to pull reports from this data, displaying the answers that were received for the questions and the ability to filter only showing data for specific classes, as well as by date, and teacher.

Since the data will continually be exported out of SharePoint into the Excel table, I realize that eventually I will need to have a separate Excel file that reads in the data from the export…but taking things one step at a time, I thought it might be best to just figure how to pull the report content in general just on a different sheet. The link to the sheet below is just an example of the type of data (dummy responses in there now—the real file has 100's of rows, and many more question columns), and on the 'Report' sheet I have demonstrated a general setup of what I eventually want to accomplish (note that I haven't actually set anything up with formulas, etc. yet). Essentially I want to easily be able to see the number of responses for each question (note that in the Data sheet 5=Strongly Agree, 4=Agree, 3=Neutral, etc.). The 'average' column would just show an average numeric value.

I'm able to accomplish that easily for a specific set of rows of data, but I don't know how to set it up so that it can be filtered by any combination of class/date/teacher. I don't know how to do it so that it doesn't have a defined range of rows…it has to be able to work even when new rows of data get added.

The other challenge is including the 'open-ended' answer responses..and how to visually display that. For now I just show an example of having each response in its own column, but I'm open to suggestions!

I know this was a lot of information…but any suggestions/guidance/examples that could be provided would be GREATLY appreciated. I tried to create a Pivot table, but it wouldn't show the info that I needed it to (wasn't showing the list of questions, only a ton of 'collapsible' numbers)

Here is the link to the example spreadsheet: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5nle8zltdvsvasc/surveyExample.xlsx

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Using the Excel "Table" function will address most of your questions. Here's a link:
Excel Tables - Easy Excel Tutorial

Regarding the open end questions, you might want to add a column for each open ended question where you can categorize each response into something standard that will then facilitate summarization.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back