Data reading for time tracking type entries looking for specific words and counting the total hours associated with that entry?

saurontheokay

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello!

I use salesforce in my job to track client work as well as internal work with my company. I am in a new-ish role where I am providing support as a test run to see if this area could support a full time role. As such, I have been entering my time with bracket categories before going into my description. I am working on a way to automate my time to filter data and information without having to edit or analyze it myself each month. I have established a pivot table for the client work I am completing, and created a query to separate the company time entries.

Is there a way to read this chart and have information pulled to show how many hours were spent from entries that have [Kevin] or [Meetings]?

I am not able to add the XL2BB add in without IT Admin permission and honestly, I would rather not explain myself and tell them how to do their job to get that to work on the back end. I have a snip below and the file can be looked at here through my google drive.

1676490811917.png

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
In Cell F1 enter
Kevin
In Cell F2, enter
=IF(NOT(ISERR(FIND(F$1,$D2))),$E2,"")
If like you can enter other names on row 1 to the right of Kevin, and copy F2 to all rows and columns you populate
Or you can modify the formula in F2 to read
=IF(NOT(ISERR(FIND("Kevin",$D2))),$E2,"")

Upvote 0
In Cell F1 enter
Kevin
In Cell F2, enter
=IF(NOT(ISERR(FIND(F$1,$D2))),$E2,"")
If like you can enter other names on row 1 to the right of Kevin, and copy F2 to all rows and columns you populate
Or you can modify the formula in F2 to read
=IF(NOT(ISERR(FIND("Kevin",$D2))),$E2,"")
This is so close to what I want! I've altered it to be =SUM(...) so its a total of the amount of hours, which is exactly what I need.

Is it possible to have the formula interact with the whole column without having to update the formula range as the entries are updated each month in the other worksheet?

Upvote 0
This is so close to what I want! I've altered it to be =SUM(...) so its a total of the amount of hours, which is exactly what I need.

Is it possible to have the formula interact with the whole column without having to update the formula range as the entries are updated each month in the other worksheet?

NVM! I used the below formula for each section.

=SUM(IF(NOT(ISERR(FIND(F$1,$D:$D))),$E:$E,"")) So when the entries are updated from the raw time entries, the new rows should be automatically included.

In an ideal world, I would like to have this broken out into showing the results per month. But Ill work on that later if there's already not an easy solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back