Data Recording

JHughes

I am currently involved in restarting a previously shut down power plant. On the computers in the control room there are Excel spreadsheets that contain realtime data feeds from locations in the plant using a program called Rockwell Software. This works great but what i need it Excel to do is record the data. For example cell A5 updates every 5 secs with information taken from the plant. I need starting at 12:00:00am everymorning say cell A6 to record the value in A5 then at 12:00:30am cell A7 to record the new value in A5 and so on every 30 secs for the entire day. Also at the end of the day I need to have the recorder start back at A6 @ 12:00:00am that morning and right over the previous days data. I was hoping to use the NOW() function as a timer.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
What you do is enter a tagname in cell A5. This tagname represents a sender in the plant which records and stores a value for 5 secs then records and stores a new value. Im not sure what is telling excel to update itself whenever the sender does. There are no add-ins or anything installed all I can come up with is that when the tagname is entered its talking to another program on the computer which in turns talks to Excel.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you have some VBA code in there. If you right-click the worksheet tab and select View Code, that will launch the VB Editor (VBE). Look and see if you have a change event in that module. You might also want to look in the other modules and see if anything's there.

If so, post it here and we can tell you (hopefully) what it's doing and go from there.

Smitty

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back