Data series disappears when adding bevel shape effect

The13th

Hello,

I was recently upgraded to Windows 10 and Excel 2016. I'm making multiple 2D stacked bar charts and would like to add a bevel shape effect to each data series. My smallest chart has 70 rows of data and I have no problem adding the bevel effect to that chart. My other charts, however, have anywhere from 170-470 rows of data and when I attempt to add a bevel effect to these, the selected data series disappears from the chart.

Before the upgrade, I had Excel 2010 and simply used one of the default chart designs. Now I am merely trying to recreate that style so my new charts will look consistent with my previous charts.

Does anyone have any advice on how to prevent my data series from disappearing when I apply a bevel effect?

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
When you click on the + on top right of the graph, you can add your series as you like.

Otherwise, you can open a graph that is exactly as you like, right-click it and save it as template. Now when selecting your data, you can directly apply your template. With my version, I click insert tab, click on 'more graph type' below bar type (option available with any type) and there can select my templates (first in left column)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for your response. Clicking on the + didn't work for me, but I was able to save an older graph as a template and that seems to be working.

Upvote 0
You can build directly as template otherwise for existing, when in design tab, click change chart type and select your template.

Have no idea why excel behaves like this but most important is that the workaround works.

Upvote 0
The saved template workaround works for all but one of my charts. For the last chart in question, I need to color code each bar and I've been doing so manually (using right click and shape fill). I can start to color code without issue. However, once I attempt to change the color for the last series, that series disappears.

To illustrate, this is what my chart looks like before I begin to color code:
sUUzBaJ.jpg

Now I begin to color code. For the purpose of this example, I alternated between green and red for each data series. For each team, I am able to change the colors for all but the last series without issue.
krVwEA8.jpg

Now I tried to change the color for the final data series for the Mets from default to red. Instead, it disappears. If I hover my mouse over that grayed out series, it just says "Plot Area" rather than display the series value.
11X3DCa.jpg

It also doesn't matter which order I try to change colors. It's always the last series that I try to change which disappears.

Any advice?

Upvote 0
I would try to do copy-paste values of the data in a new file, do the graph and color it. Plenty of chances the problem would disappear

Upvote 0
Thanks for all of your replies. I really do appreciate it. Unfortunately, I tried to copy and paste the values into a new file and still encountered the same issue when color coding.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back